Well its official. Jax, FL here I come!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EinBierBitte

Reaction score
My wife and I will be moving to Jacksonville, FL on Saturday! Its going to be nice being in a city with things to do again. We just decided to move a week and a half ago so if anyone knows of any jobs let me know. Really just need something part time because I am going to be using my GI Bill. Come to think of it I need to decide on a major! Anthropology, Microbiology, or Fine Arts... I know I know- thats a weird spread. I know there are a lot of folks from Jax here so I am trying to tap every resource I have. If nothing else I hope to have a couple homebrews with some of ya!

Oh and while Im at it, anyone have a suggestion on a pub with good craft beers?

I just moved from there so I won't be able to enjoy homebrews with you but I can let you know about the beer seen there.

I like the LHBS (Just Brew It) there a lot, the manager seems knowledgeable and they have a wide range of grains, extracts, and extract kits too. They have a lot of equipment items as well.

There is a homebrew club, called C.A.S.K, that is growing and has pretty good participation. There are some really good brewers and BJCP judges there, so you will be able to get some good feedback on your beers. You can sign up at Just Brew It. Club membership also gets you a discount at the store.

There is a brewpub called 7 Bridges located in the "Southside" of town. They are owned by Gordon Biersch but they do have cask conditioned beers and seasonal types that the on site brewer is able to create on his own.
There is a small brewery that just opened up before I left called "Bold City Brewery". I had only one of their beers and it was pretty good. They do have a tasting room.

As for bars, I heard great things about a place called Kickbacks, a lot of craftbrews on tap. There is a small chain of 4 restaurants called European Street Cafe, that have a good selection of beers on tap and a good bottle selection. I am sure there are more bar possibilities but those are the ones that come to mind.

Good luck on the move!

Ein-

Of those majors you listed the only one I would recomend would be the microbiology, but only if you plan on going to med school.....not sure if they interest you but nursing, X-ray...anything medical will be huge for the next 30 years while the baby boomers are getting old.

Good Luck!

What's up with everyone moving from Florida to Mississippi and vice versa? I was born in Jax, moved to the Tupelo area, and just moved back to Florida. I knew a lot of people who used to live in Jax but moved to the same place I did. Seems weird.

Just Brew It is a great shop and I always enjoy Bold City Brewery. Let us know if you ever stop by Gainesville.

Hey thanks for the replies. Im pretty excited to be in a city again. Small town country just isnt my style.

Durango- If I go with Microbiology for my major it would be for brewing. I researched and many brewers go for a microbiology degree since only Oregon State offers brewing as a major.

Chefchris- I will definitely hit you up if im in the area, which Im sure I will be-- Gainsville parties are fun. (I moved from FL to MS and now Im moving back too.)

Ein-

If you are looking for a great brewing program, check out UC Davis.....either way, good luck on the move and school......not to mention, thanks for your service to our country!

Welcome. I'll buy the first pint. Reinforce Seven Bridges and Bold City both as having good brew and good times. Just Brew It is an excellent shop. I'm an active member in CASK our homebrew club. Our meeting is at 6pm this Saturday at Seven Bridges if you can make it. Many of us get their a little early.

Durango- If those schools werent on the west coast I would roll today. I like it out west. I was stationed in California for 2 years and had fun.

Beercrazy- If I make it in town early (we might leave friday because why not.) I will PM ya and see whats happening. Looking forward to trying those pubs when I get there.

I went to pick up a sixer after work today and they usually have SA. I didnt see any so I went and asked the clerk if they still stocked SA. He said ( in a strong southern accent) "The hell you want Sam Adams fer, There's cold Bud Light right behind you." All I could do was laugh. Thought some of you on here would find that entertaining.

Back