Weldless brew stand.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$100 for casters? OUCH!
Hey Deric, when do I get to see photos?

OUCH is right!!!! I figured I wanted GOOD casters.....live and learn. They are actually really nice they just don't lock. I e-mailed McMaster about 'em. I'll wait to see what they say.....

Made some shields for the burners and pumps today. Also found a scrap of aluminum to use as a shield for the MT. Creeping along.....

Will post a pic or 2 tonight. Mother in laws birthday today so.......:drunk:

Got my propane manifold built, pressure tested, and then fired up all 3 burners successfully.

2-13-2011a.jpg

2-13-2011b.jpg

Dannedry- I would very much like to copy your gas setup. If you would be so kind as to let me know the parts list all the way from propane tank to burner i would be very greatfull. Also, can you tell me where you procured these items? My local hardware store does not seem to have much a selection. I will probably have to buy online.

Thanks!

ryanmcl said:
Dannedry- I would very much like to copy your gas setup. If you would be so kind as to let me know the parts list all the way from propane tank to burner i would be very greatfull. Also, can you tell me where you procured these items? My local hardware store does not seem to have much a selection. I will probably have to buy online.

Thanks!

I'm interested as well

Here's what I have so far..... Keggles are welded. They need to be scrubbed but it was too damn cold out today... Have all the fittings (I think) Sightglasses should be here in the next couple days. Cooler that I bought 10 years ago (literally) to use for a mash tun is FINALLY done. Would like to come up with a shelf to put in the bottom. Still waiting on the gas manifold, second pump, pump switch box .... and I'm sure I'll find a few more things.....

Brewery 008.jpg

Brewery 009.jpg

Brewery 011.jpg

Brewery 013.jpg

What did you make your pump shields out of?

Here's what I have so far..... Keggles are welded. They need to be scrubbed but it was too damn cold out today... Have all the fittings (I think) Sightglasses should be here in the next couple days. Cooler that I bought 10 years ago (literally) to use for a mash tun is FINALLY done. Would like to come up with a shelf to put in the bottom. Still waiting on the gas manifold, second pump, pump switch box .... and I'm sure I'll find a few more things.....

Looks good, but unfortunately McMaster is racist against Canadians - to the point that they will blacklist customers/addresses they believe are forwarding items here! I still do it, but forwarding angle steel would be extremely expensive.

Still, everything tends to cost more here so I suppose this might still be the cheapest option even if I have to get it all at Home Depot (maybe still forward some of those 50-set hardware packs). But I really have no idea about gas plumbing or what'd even be required, much less how to automate gas burners (I wanna do a HERMS) :eek:

:eek: I feel a bit in over my head!

It's all good Kurt....just got confirmation that the orifices shipped today. Would love to be able to brew the weekend of the 28th but **** happens. I'll keep my fingers crossed. :mug:

I ordered BG12 burners and plan on using flex hose to connect then to a black pipe manifold. My question is, does anyone know the size of the threads on the oriface? If possible I want to be able to attach the flex hose dirrectly to it.
This is where I plan on ordering hose from, http://www.plumbingsupply.com/gasconnectors.html , unless some has a better option on price or ease.

Thought I'd share my weldless stand. Made from uni-strut (free from a job site) and banjo burners. Aluminum flashing wind shields, a march pump, an old wine pump, and many other things.

Stand1.jpg

Stand2.jpg

Stand3.jpg

Quick question, is there a reason why you couldnt just use the 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" pieces for everything instead of switching to the 2-1/4" pieces

Quick question, is there a reason why you couldnt just use the 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" pieces for everything instead of switching to the 2-1/4" pieces

Not sure if this question was for me or not but all the unistrut I used was free from a construction job site that I was on, they were throwing it all away.

Was a general question for all builds, going to start a few projects with my tax returns to expand my basic brew setup into a more robust setup, to include this, a ferm chamber, and a kegerator. So about to order the parts and was just wondering if it would be strong enough getting all the 1-1/2" pieces or would i need the bigger pieces

This is how I cut the angle iron for mine.

Below is how I cut the 2-1/4x1-1/2" steel; if you are careful you will have one 6' length left over.
|____________ 52"____|___16.5"_____|
|__16.5__|__16.5__|__16.5__|__16.5__|
|______________72"__________________|

I cut the 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 steel like below. The fifth one is used as a support on the back side of the frame. the other four are used as the legs of the frame.
|___21____|___21____|___21____|
-------------------------------------
|___21____|___21____|
-------------------------------------

This left over angle let me cut 3 more 21" pieces from the 2-1/4x1-1/2" to use as a pump mount. you can see it on post #89 of the thread on the last two pictures.

I literally ordered these parts at 6pm last night and my gf just called me to tell me that they arrived already! It said they were coming from l.a. And I am in the bay area! Now that's some fast shipping!

I got the burners on amazon for about $7 more per burner. I made the manifold using a lot of input from this thread.

Mines done...mostly. Ordered some lids from Amazon and they sent the wrong ones....twice. I've got some lids that don't fit great but will get me by for now....

Just did a "burn off" ... get rid of the galvenizing (sp?). It STUNK for a half hour or so. Was fine after that. Ran the pumps, checked hoses, cleaned my chiller...

Brewing in the morning ready or not! :rockin:

Brewery 026.jpg

Back