Weizenbier extract fermantation temperature?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njohnsoncs

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing a weizenbier extract kit from Brewer's Best (http://www.brewersbestkits.com/pdf/1030 2016 Weizenbier Recipe.pdf) this weekend. I purchased two of the following thermometers which I plan to tape to the side of my primary and secondary fementers so I can monitor the temperature and adjust my swamp cooler as necessary.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PQ2GJNY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

My goal for this batch is to improve my temperature control in all aspects of a batch (from brew day through bottling).

The instructions from the kit recommend fermenting between 64 - 72 F. They provide Danstar Munich wheat beer yeast which you can purchase from Northern Brewer here:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/lallemand-munich-wheat-beer-yeast?gclid=CI-LooeA6dMCFZKCswod9UoOrA

On the above website, it says the optimum temperature is 55 - 66 F, which is different than what the Brewer's Best instructions recommend.

I'm wondering at what temperature I should pitch the yeast and at what temperature I should keep the primary fermenter for this yeast?

Last edited by a moderator:
i would aim for 68-70. On the danstar website it says this yeast can be used at 62 and above but performs best at traditional ale temps. Especially if you're going for the wheat esther yeast profile for this beer, I'd keep it out of the lager temps.

i would aim for 68-70. On the danstar website it says this yeast can be used at 62 and above but performs best at traditional ale temps. Especially if you're going for the wheat esther yeast profile for this beer, I'd keep it out of the lager temps.

I would like to get more banana flavor. Is it possible with this type of yeast? Would I have to ferment at a higher temperature? If so, at what temperature?

I used a French saison yeast from wyeast and fermented at room temp (75 or so) and I got a great banana ester flavor to my last wheat.

There's a guy who I judge with who makes fantastic wheat beers. His beers are big banana / clove bombs, and he does very well in competitions. He uses liquid yeast (WLP300). I don't know anything about the Munich yeast from Danstar, but if you're specifically looking for these characteristics, you may want to try WLP300 and save the dry yeast for another time.

So I've been using a swamp cooler to control the temperature which is a bit tricky. I have a temperature probe taped to the primary bucket which has read between 61 - 67 F. It's been about 6 days since I pitched the yeast. There was airlock activity within 2 hours which lasted about 4 days. I'm going to rack it to a secondary to make room in my primary.

Now that most of the fermentation is over, I'm wondering whether I can let the temperature go up to room temperature which is 70 F. Since there is not much fermentation activity, the beer and primary bucket should be about the same temperature so my temperature probe should be fairly accurate. Is this correct?

Back