Weizen Beer Question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluedragoon85

Reaction score
Hi, I have had a Weizen beer in my primary fermentation bucket for 9 days and I was wondering how long I should wait before bottling? The thing is I don't have a secondary fermenter and from what I have read, weizen beers don't require all the clearing as most other beers do... so my question is, should I wait about 2 more weeks before bottling or how should I approach it when it comes to making weizen beer? Thanks :) o and btw, can you kind of tell how your beer is doing by the smell of the CO2 it lets off? I know it might sound strange, but I can sure tell it smells like beer and it smells good at that, so I was just wondering...

I would bottle when you have reached your expected FG and it is not changing (over a couple days). If you have had a healthly, active fermentation, I would suspect you can bottle very soon. If you want to leave it for longer, of course, that is fine too.

Smells can be deceiving. I have a some stinkers that produced good beer and some that smelled good and came out good as well. The hefeweizen yeast usually give off pleasant smells IMO.

I also have a wiezen in the primary right now, its been 7 days and i plan on bottling this weekend, probablly at 10 days. thats the great part about wiezens, you dont need to condition them which means you get to drink them sooner:rockin:

thanks for the replies! I think I will take a hydrometer reading and monitor it for the following 2 days and bottle it as soon as I see it's stable... thanks :)

nice! I like that about getting to drink it sooner... I'm a newb and this is my first brew, so I will see how it goes ;)

Back