Weird Saturday yesterday!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm away from home, visiting my family. Yesterday, I wanted to go to a mall (there aren't any stores within 150 miles of my home) so I dropped my dad off at my brother's and followed his instructions to the mall. (There was a Buffalo Wild Wings near the mall that had great beer on top like Lake Erie Monster by Great Lakes, BTW, but that's for another time).

I HATE malls, shopping, crowds, people, parking, etc. But I needed a couple of items that women can't really buy online. Figure it out, ok?

Anyway, coming back to my brother's house, following the route he outlined, I come to a major intersection and there is a sudden crash. I didn't really see what happened, but there are a couple cars smashed to smithereens, and one in the ditch with airbags deployed. I jump out, yelling, "Is anybody hurt" and I hear "Yes! My daughter is hurt bad!" So I ran to that car, the door was already open and I provided aid and called 911. I knew the intersection, but nothing else. I provided care, stopped bleeding, and calmed the injured. You know the most bizarre part? The hurt kid was 15, and her mom was running around screaming but never once came over to her daughter! In fact, two of the uninjured passengers came to blows over who's fault it was!

No one else stopped. No one! Everyone is going to be ok, but they were in need of emergency help. The cops made it in about 2 minutes, fire trucks and ambulances in less than 5 certainly. Apparently, my car was still running, my purse in it, etc during the time it took to load the ambulance, take care of the people not transported, provide my statement, and then help call people's family. No one even shut off my car! Why did not one person lined up at the redlight say, "Hey- that empty car is running! I'll turn it off."? The intersection was closed, so there were quite a few people around- certainly more than 100. After the first ambulance left, I asked one of the injured people if they had my cellphone, and he said, "Yes, I have it!" and he gave it back to me. (He was pretty ok, but wanted to call his wife so she wouldn't worry too much by getting a call from the hospital.)

I felt so disappointed with people. I know that people don't want to get involved- but there was glass and blood everywhere, my car running at the side of the road, and no way for traffic to get through. Not one other person said, "Does anybody need help? Can I call 911?". Nothing. Nobody. That was such a shock to me. To witness a major crash, not call for help, and just sit there watching. I'm so disillusioned with my fellow man.

Finally, I was ready to leave and found that I didn't know any other way to get to my brother's! The cops sent me on a detour that sent me about 30 miles out of my way since that road was closed. I realized I had to call my family- I was hours late, covered with glass, a little blood, filthy dirty, and almost out of gas.

They saved dinner for me, though.

You did a good deed to help another person in distress. Don't mind all of those selfish POS people that didn't want to be inconvenienced as you did the right thing. I was a police officer for a long time and it never ceased to amaze me at how little concern people have for their fellow man. They also get exceptionally upset if they are inconvenienced in any way by having to wait, pull over, get re-routed, etc. As long as you don't get between them and their Starbucks you are fine.

Good job Yoop. It will certainly come back to you.

You did a good deed to help another person in distress. Don't mind all of those selfish POS people that didn't want to be inconvenienced as you did the right thing. I was a police officer for a long time and it never ceased to amaze me at how little concern people have for their fellow man. They also get exceptionally upset if they are inconvenienced in any way by having to wait, pull over, get re-routed, etc. As long as you don't get between them and their Starbucks you are fine.

Good job Yoop. It will certainly come back to you.

It was nothing. I was a paramedic for years (although not licensed in Ohio!) and later a respiratory therapist. It was no big deal at all, until I looked around after the patients were stable and saw hundreds of cars/people and realized my car (actually, my dad's- I flew here) was running with my purse and keys in it!

I haven't lived in a city of any size in nearly 28 years, so I guess I forgot what a city was like. The cops were wonderful, as were the firefighters and paramedics. Very professional, and courteous.

I was hours late, covered with glass, a little blood, filthy dirty, and almost out of gas.

HOT!

and thanks for being human. there aren't enough people like you in the world. :rockin:

Yooper said:
I'm away from home, visiting my family. Yesterday, I wanted to go to a mall (there aren't any stores within 150 miles of my home) so I dropped my dad off at my brother's and followed his instructions to the mall. (There was a Buffalo Wild Wings near the mall that had great beer on top like Lake Erie Monster by Great Lakes, BTW, but that's for another time).

I HATE malls, shopping, crowds, people, parking, etc. But I needed a couple of items that women can't really buy online. Figure it out, ok?

Anyway, coming back to my brother's house, following the route he outlined, I come to a major intersection and there is a sudden crash. I didn't really see what happened, but there are a couple cars smashed to smithereens, and one in the ditch with airbags deployed. I jump out, yelling, "Is anybody hurt" and I hear "Yes! My daughter is hurt bad!" So I ran to that car, the door was already open and I provided aid and called 911. I knew the intersection, but nothing else. I provided care, stopped bleeding, and calmed the injured. You know the most bizarre part? The hurt kid was 15, and her mom was running around screaming but never once came over to her daughter! In fact, two of the uninjured passengers came to blows over who's fault it was!

No one else stopped. No one! Everyone is going to be ok, but they were in need of emergency help. The cops made it in about 2 minutes, fire trucks and ambulances in less than 5 certainly. Apparently, my car was still running, my purse in it, etc during the time it took to load the ambulance, take care of the people not transported, provide my statement, and then help call people's family. No one even shut off my car! Why did not one person lined up at the redlight say, "Hey- that empty car is running! I'll turn it off."? The intersection was closed, so there were quite a few people around- certainly more than 100. After the first ambulance left, I asked one of the injured people if they had my cellphone, and he said, "Yes, I have it!" and he gave it back to me. (He was pretty ok, but wanted to call his wife so she wouldn't worry too much by getting a call from the hospital.)

I felt so disappointed with people. I know that people don't want to get involved- but there was glass and blood everywhere, my car running at the side of the road, and no way for traffic to get through. Not one other person said, "Does anybody need help? Can I call 911?". Nothing. Nobody. That was such a shock to me. To witness a major crash, not call for help, and just sit there watching. I'm so disillusioned with my fellow man.

Finally, I was ready to leave and found that I didn't know any other way to get to my brother's! The cops sent me on a detour that sent me about 30 miles out of my way since that road was closed. I realized I had to call my family- I was hours late, covered with glass, a little blood, filthy dirty, and almost out of gas.

They saved dinner for me, though.

Yooper , I'm actually traveling to Erie PA to-marrow. It's an 8 hour drive from where I am, the fam is having a big bash :)
I'll pick you up a sixer and send it to you. For your good deed :) what comes around goes around. :)
Pm where you want me to send it:)

As a retired cop, I realize how rare someone like you stopping to help really is. It may not have been a big deal to you, but someone making an effort for a stranger just doesn't happen anymore

Good for you. I saw a surveillance camera video of a man get shot in New York on the news a few weeks ago. Guy walked up to a young man, shot him and walked away. He lay there writhing in pain and dying for over a minute with people standing around watching. No one gave him aid, no one even tried to comfort him. He died face down on the concrete. I will never be able to forget it.
Bless you Yooper. The measure of a person is what they do in situations like that, and you showed your true colors. Wish more people valued life, and would remember we are all human.

The measure of a person is what they do in situations like that, and you showed your true colors. Wish more people valued life, and would remember we are all human.

How true. I went to a shooting once where a husband was shot in the back of the head while he sat in his truck with his wife. I got there and while fire worked on him, his wife sat there bitching about a cut to her finger from the broken glass. Never asked about her husband. People suck

Absolutely Awesome. If ever in the Olympia WA area, I would like to brew you a beer.

I'm just surprised no one stole your purse, cellphone, or car while it was going on.

In New York not only would her purse be stolen they would also ticket her for having the car idling so long.

No Joke.

How true. I went to a shooting once where a husband was shot in the back of the head while he sat in his truck with his wife. I got there and while fire worked on him, his wife sat there bitching about a cut to her finger from the broken glass. Never asked about her husband. People suck

Yeah, but sometimes it's just the way some folk's coping mechanisms are in the face of something extreme like that. They shut down so much that all they can focus on are stuff that seem trivial or even selfish, but in reality they've just blown every rational circuit they have and that's all they have left in the situation.

I agree that people suck, but where crises happen, not everyone can run into the burning building, some folks just shut down. I consider myself lucky, I tend to shut down anything in me that would prevent me from helping in a crises, horror or whatever, and just get a tunnel vision of helping, then after everything's over and I'm not needed is when I go into shock or have a melt down. That could be hours or days later.

Like during 9-11 I was crisis counselling in a church in Detroit for like 48 straight hours, and I helped organize a supply drive for gear and water for first responders. It was later in the week, when some girlscouts had dropped off come construction hardhats that they had all signed and decorated for the rescuers that I finally broke down. It was midnight, I was in a parking lot in a really bad neighborhood in Detroit where people were dropping stuff off to us, and I was on my knees in front of these hard hats bawling like a baby.

In New York not only would her purse be stolen they would also ticket her for having the car idling so long.

No Joke.

In Detroit too.

In fact it happened last year, there was a big fire in Detroit, and one of the Firefighters who was off duty at the time met his collegues at the site in his own car. Someone broke into the car and stole his wallet, and was making withdrawls and CC purchases while the poor guy was risking his life.

Or when you get sued for administering medical attention without a license.

_

Haha- at least I have a working knowledge of "Good Samaritan Laws" in every state. Unfortunately, this isn't the first time something like this has happened to me over the last 28 years or so since I first got my license.

I didn't do much at all. I would have, though, if it was needed. Aside from some cuts, scrapes, and a head injury without airway compromise, no one was really hurt badly.

Awesome, you can attach a syndrome name to it and call it good. Perfectly acceptable to stand around and let someone die, because everyone else is doing the same thing.

We're doomed.

_

I've never seen anything like it, actually. I know I live in a small town, but I travel widely. I never imagined hundreds of people being irritated by a road closure due to a multi-car accident. That seemed to be most of the reactions when I later looked up and walked back to my car. I'm very saddened by this. I guess I joke about being cynical and "old"- but I would never ever just stand there. I mean, someone could help direct traffic, or offer a towel, or anything, even if not a trained first aid provider.

It was the weirdest thing I've ever seen. And then, when I was leaving, the cops were directing traffic and there were cars trying to dart around the cops to avoid the detour! One of the cops pulled a guy over for doing that, and dressed him down (I could hear him) but let him go. I guess I'm just naive expected others to care, or at least to call 911.

Awesome, you can attach a syndrome name to it and call it good. Perfectly acceptable to stand around and let someone die, because everyone else is doing the same thing.

We're doomed.

_

Oh no i never said it was Acceptable or right, just that it is likely the reasoning behind it, i have stopped at many wrecks over the years to help out if no medical attn had arrived yet. Some people however just avoid it.

Oh no i never said it was Acceptable or right, just that it is likely the reasoning behind it, i have stopped at many wrecks over the years to help out if no medical attn had arrived yet. Some people however just avoid it.

No ill will directed at you, just the link. Just far to many things imo that are blamed on syndromes, and other "clinical illnesses."

The biggest disorders I see around here is lazyobesiusamericanus, And itsneveranyonesfaultamous.

_

Way to go yoop! We need more purple like you in this world!

good job, yooper.
I'd like to think i would do the same in a simmilar situation, but i also know i wouldn't stop and turn your car off for you. the thought wouldn't cross my mind, and i would feel like i was being invasive to do so.

I never imagined hundreds of people being irritated by a road closure due to a multi-car accident.

I have a major highway in my precinct that carries thousands of cars an hour. I've had to shut this highway many times over the years, both a few lanes at a time and completely. At night, I've had people drive past us upwards of 80-90 miles an hour with no regard for the police lights or anything going on in the stopped lanes. This is an elevated highway with no shoulder. Have you ever had a car go by you at 80+mph when you are stationary in a vehicle? Imagine what that feels like when you are standing outside and it happens. The scariest moments I've ever had at work were all on that highway.

People for the most part around here don't care about what is going on unless it affects them. Most people don't move out of the way for ambulances or cop cars, only firetrucks because they are so big. I've had people give us the finger for stopping traffic or trying to move them out of the way. Even ticketed someone for blocking my police car once and asking us "What's the rush?"

On a side note, I made a decision not to tourniquet a guy who in a drunken stupor punched out a glass window and sliced his arm from wrist to elbow. EMS was on the way and I did think he was bleeding enough to die. He did. That decision bothered me a little and made me wonder if I too had become desensitized to it all. Can't help everyone though right?

Yooper, it is very rare to see regular people actually helping out when something goes wrong, at least around here. Even on 9/11 the majority of the people just ran over anyone who got in their way. Cops and firemen had to push people out of the way to get in to help. I always try to keep that in mind just in case there is a large-scale disaster. I feel you are better off being away from people than being in groups.

No ill will directed at you, just the link. Just far to many things imo that are blamed on syndromes, and other "clinical illnesses."

The biggest disorders I see around here is lazyobesiusamericanus, And itsneveranyonesfaultamous.

_

Good Point. But i do believe that there is a reason for most everything, unless your speaking about the truly insane,and that through more studies we are finding more and more reasons, so yes it does seem like there is a "syndrome for everything". I do know, i have seen, i **** you not, someone who stopped to help at a wreck get Sued by the person they tried to help, on the claim that the "none professional help" made their injuries worse. I always think, Only in America.

On a side note, I made a decision not to tourniquet a guy who in a drunken stupor punched out a glass window and sliced his arm from wrist to elbow. EMS was on the way and I did think he was bleeding enough to die. He did. That decision bothered me a little and made me wonder if I too had become desensitized to it all. Can't help everyone though right?

Some people really dont deserve help.(I make no claim that the following story is true and fact, only repeating what i was told) I was in Boot camp with a State Trooper from VA who told us about this drug dealer they were after for years, they could never catch the guy with anything on him, well he pulled the guy over, and the guy jumped out of his car, Shot the trooper through his window 3 times, in the chest,of course he had a vest on, got out shot the guy in the chest, kicked the gun away, and started doing chest compressions on him, causing the blood to gush from the wound faster, He got a medal and the drug dealer ended up dead. They found over 100lbs of Coke in the trunk of his car. I, even knowing that the cop went out of the way to cause this guys death, still feel he deserved the medal, does that make me desensitized? Or is it just that there are some scum that should just not be allowed to live and getting rid of them improves the world? Think Boondock Saints movie.

Oops, I just realized I wrote "did think he was bleeding enough to die", I meant to write DIDN'T. I didn't want the guy to die, I just remembered all the talk about being careful who you choose to tourniquet because more than likely, they are going to sue you for the loss of limb when all is said and done.

If someone shot me, I'd have a hard time trying to preserve their life. I don't think I'd intentionally pump blood out of them, but I wouldn't try to help, that's for sure. I'd probably just sit and wait for backup and MY ambulance to arrive and forget to call one for him ;)

Oops, I just realized I wrote "did think he was bleeding enough to die", I meant to write DIDN'T. I didn't want the guy to die, I just remembered all the talk about being careful who you choose to tourniquet because more than likely, they are going to sue you for the loss of limb when all is said and done.

If someone shot me, I'd have a hard time trying to preserve their life. I don't think I'd intentionally pump blood out of them, but I wouldn't try to help, that's for sure. I'd probably just sit and wait for backup and MY ambulance to arrive and forget to call one for him ;)

Like i told Troop(his nick name in boot camp lol) I would have just put another round in the chest and one in the head and said he didn't go down on the first 2. Hey your a Cop not an EMT how are you suppose to know when to use a tourniquet and when the guy will be fine, I believe you would have had you known he would die, you dont seem the cold blooded killer type to me. But you cant beat yourself up over a mistake that is over and done man!

I can't remember what the name of the theory is, but I learned it in lifesaving. The bigger the group of people, the less a person is likely to help. They are more likely to feel like another person will do it, so they don't need to. You are definitely one in a million.

I agree with Revvy about people shutting down in a crisis. I guess it's a coping mechanism, but I'm glad we have some Yoopers in this world too.

Props to you, Yoop, for doing what you could. But remember, everyone has a cell phone these days, and the 911 dispatcher was probably inundated with calls moments after the crash. Many people think that's good enough. Not a lot of people are going to be confident that they can help in an emergency, or they are afraid of being sued.

As for your car running, I would probably not shut someone else's car off for them either. People get upset over the silliest things these days.

I think a good rule of thumb for an accident is to have 1 person for every injured person to talk to them and keep them company (and watch for signs of trauma or concussion, etc.) until the experts arrive. More than 1 for anyone severely injured.

Back