Weird refractometer meter reading post fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colizza

Reaction score
I took a reading with my hydrometer of a smash ipa that i just transferred to sencodary for another dry hop. My hydrometer indicated 1.015 (in distilled water, the same hydrometer indicated 1.003). Then i took the same sample and put of few drops on my refractometer and it indicated 1.023 (the refractometer was calibrated)... So what the heck is that difference and who should i trust, because 1.012-1.015 (hydrometer reading) is acceptable but 1.023 (refractometer reading) is unacceptable

You can't use a refractometer post fermentation. The presence of alcohol will throw off your reading. Use the hydrometer reading.

Refractometers are not accurate once there is alcohol present in the sample, it skews the refraction index of the liquid and thus the refractometer is not accurate. There are calculators that can translate that reading for you, find one here:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/learn/resources/refractometer-calculator/

Once you run it through that calculator, it should match your hydrometer reading of 1.015.

Refractometers are not accurate with the presence of alcohol. Changes the way the light bends. An approximation of post fermentation FG can be done using a correction calculator.

Thanks, i knew it would change it, but not that much! Thanks guys :)

Latest posts

Back