Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jean-Raphael Lavoie

Reaction score
I calibrated my RAPT pill twice with the simple methode and still it's reading 0.007 lower than my hydrometer and my refractometer in wort. My hydrometer is calibrated at 68F and I do compensate for the temperature of the wort. My refractometer gives me a pretty close reading (within 0.002) of my hydrometer in wort.

It's the second batch in a row that the OG reading of the RAPR T pill is off by 0.007.

Question: Does anyone else have found a difference between the RAPT pill OG reading and their hydrometer?

My next move will be the verify the calibration of my hydrometer in distilled water at 68F. If my hydrometer is off, I,ll update this post.

I include graphic of the RAPT pill left in tap water over a periode of 24 hours just to show that the reading will change event in tap water.

RAPT pill.png

Well you did have a big temperature excursion at the time you are showing on the graph. But that only accounts for 0.001 of hydrometer error.

I wouldn't be too fiddly about it and worry about getting it less than 0.002. If it happens to be less great. If not, just remember the correction.

The sharp change in SG and temp seem to suggest something happened. Maybe it was just hung up on the side of the container. Though I'm not sure what explains the temp changing so fast.

I use my RaptPill as a relative measure so I can see what's going on in the FV. I don't really care how accurate the SG it reports is. Just so long as it's consistent.

I use the hydrometer to get more exact measures. Usually just the OG and FG.

Well you did have a big temperature excursion at the time you are showing on the graph. But that only accounts for 0.001 of hydrometer error.

I wouldn't be too fiddly about it and worry about getting it less than 0.002. If it happens to be less great. If not, just remember the correction.

The sharp change in SG and temp seem to suggest something happened. Maybe it was just hung up on the side of the container. Though I'm not sure what explains the temp changing so fast.
The graph was made in tap water and the temperature change is just due to temperature fluctuation in my house over a hot summer day. I ferment in the basment dont worry. But I was supprise to see a change of gravity in water.

Do you experience a difference between your hydrometer and the Raprt pill reading?

I calibrated it when I got it 9 or so months ago. I use it quite a bit, but like I said, I'm only interested in relative things that are going on in the FV. It's doesn't matter if they are the actual SG reading since I use a hydrometer to measure the actual OG and FG. The last time I noted a difference, the RaptPill was about 0.002 higher reading for SG than the real hydrometer. That was about two months ago when I noticed.

My RaptPill could be off by any amount, but if it's consistently the same error, it still would tell me quite a few things. Whether or not fermentation is happening, when the ferment ended, what the relative change of SG is so I can estimate my ABV. And probably some other stuff too. Which is the stuff I really care about when it's in the FV.

I agree with using the Pill for relative changes in gravity, and I compare to EasyDens, it is very accurate IMO. Current batch EasyDens = 1.025, Pill = 1.024, that’s close enough for me. My big complaint with the Pill is temperature. My temp controller thermowell will show steady 68 degrees (f) and Pill shows 64 degrees. I’ve played with temp offset and not made progress.

Hi,
I also had exact same issue. Off by 0.007.
I was so confident on rapt pill all this time. Its 3rd brew with rapt pill but this it seemed it was way off that i was depressed that i missed 10 points off the calculated one although i used a new cooler mash tun but i had problems reaching mash temp. Dont know why.. but it showed 1.041 and I just pulled out the fermenter and thought of checking with my hydrometer. He made my day. Its around 1.049-.1048...
Dont know why?

Back