Weird Question-Pumpkin Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stunna980

Reaction score
So I am going to make a pumpkin beer for this October. There is a good recipe in zymergy. It says to use "crook neck squash". Is there a difference in taste from a "crook neck squash" than a "yellow crook neck squash" or are they the same thing?

Im looking to do a pumpkin ale for this October. Im fairly new to homebrewing so I am hoping to find a good extract kit. If anyone knows of one, let me know.
Sorry for the Thread Jack!!!

Im almost sure they are talking about the same two Squash.

There are a couple of decent recipes in the recipe section here too.

Search for Yuri's Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale

I was reading somewhere yesterday that pumpkin really doesn't add any appreciable flavor to beer. If you incorporate a good pumpkin pie spice mix (your own or pre-packaged), that's really the flavor people are looking for when they think of pumpkin.

...similar to the association of the flavor of caraway seeds to rye (because of rye bread, presumably).

I was reading somewhere yesterday that pumpkin really doesn't add any appreciable flavor to beer. If you incorporate a good pumpkin pie spice mix (your own or pre-packaged), that's really the flavor people are looking for when they think of pumpkin.

...similar to the association of the flavor of caraway seeds to rye (because of rye bread, presumably).

I would totally disagree. The best pumpkin beers I've had have a noticeable pumpkin flavor complemented with the spice. The all spice beers like Buffalo Bills Pumpkin ale are not my bag.

I would totally disagree. The best pumpkin beers I've had have a noticeable pumpkin flavor complemented with the spice. The all spice beers like Buffalo Bills Pumpkin ale are not my bag.

Interesting. I haven't personally tasted very many myself, just happened to be reading about it. I think it was in Brewing Classic Styles.

Ya in last yrs October Zymergy issue (forgot his name) has a pumpkin recipe in there. And he uses fresh crook nesk squash instead of pie mix. So just wanted to know if YELLOW crook neck is the same thing.

Latest posts

Back