Weird Question-Pumpkin Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stunna980

Reaction score
So I am going to make a pumpkin beer for this October. There is a good recipe in zymergy. It says to use "crook neck squash". Is there a difference in taste from a "crook neck squash" than a "yellow crook neck squash" or are they the same thing?

Im looking to do a pumpkin ale for this October. Im fairly new to homebrewing so I am hoping to find a good extract kit. If anyone knows of one, let me know.
Sorry for the Thread Jack!!!

Im almost sure they are talking about the same two Squash.

There are a couple of decent recipes in the recipe section here too.

Search for Yuri's Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale

I was reading somewhere yesterday that pumpkin really doesn't add any appreciable flavor to beer. If you incorporate a good pumpkin pie spice mix (your own or pre-packaged), that's really the flavor people are looking for when they think of pumpkin.

...similar to the association of the flavor of caraway seeds to rye (because of rye bread, presumably).

I was reading somewhere yesterday that pumpkin really doesn't add any appreciable flavor to beer. If you incorporate a good pumpkin pie spice mix (your own or pre-packaged), that's really the flavor people are looking for when they think of pumpkin.

...similar to the association of the flavor of caraway seeds to rye (because of rye bread, presumably).

I would totally disagree. The best pumpkin beers I've had have a noticeable pumpkin flavor complemented with the spice. The all spice beers like Buffalo Bills Pumpkin ale are not my bag.

I would totally disagree. The best pumpkin beers I've had have a noticeable pumpkin flavor complemented with the spice. The all spice beers like Buffalo Bills Pumpkin ale are not my bag.

Interesting. I haven't personally tasted very many myself, just happened to be reading about it. I think it was in Brewing Classic Styles.

Ya in last yrs October Zymergy issue (forgot his name) has a pumpkin recipe in there. And he uses fresh crook nesk squash instead of pie mix. So just wanted to know if YELLOW crook neck is the same thing.

Back