Weihenstephan Festbier?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electric_beer

Reaction score
I'm on a lager kick right now. I just started and now of course I just can't stop. :D

Anyone have any idea where to start on a similar beer? Not necessarily a clone, but something in the neighborhood?

Info I have is:
IBU 26
ABV 5.8%

No info on any grains on the website.

What I'm thinking:
Vienna 5lb
Munich 5lb
CaraMunich III 1/2 lb

Single Decoction mash at 150.

Hop choices:
Perle
Tettnang
Hallertauer Mittlefruh

Probably FWH only?

OG. 1.057
FG 1.014

Ferment with saflager w-30 70

Anyone have any suggestions?? Does this seem like it should get me into the ball park?

I think your recipe looks good, but I don't think it will be a a good clone. My guess is that you would need some amount of pilsner malt in there. I would take the 10 lbs of base grain and split it three ways between Pils, Munich and Vienna, or even go 5 lbs pils and 2.5 lbs each Munich and Vienna. Either way you go you should have a great malty beer.

For the hops FWH is probably not necessary. I'd just do a 60 min addition to about 25 IBU and maybe a half ounce 15-20 minutes from the end of boil.

Thanks for the tips Brewsmith!

Do you think it needs any CaraMunich or any crystal?

No. The Munich and Vienna will provide plenty of color and IMO you don't want any crystal malt sweetness in this beer.

Did this beer ever get brewed? How did it turn out? I really like the idea of 50% pils, 25% Munich, 25% Vienna.

I brewed it with equal parts pils, light munich, and vienna with perle @ 60min & just a little big of tettnanger @ 20 mins. Came out really nice. Not sure if I'd say clone, but really tasty!

Back