weight of Gypsum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
interesting: never thought of packing it. I normally just grab some and shake the top off. I measured these on 2 different scales that I have. the packed one was 5 grams but I because I don't normally pack it, the one tsp for one scale was 3.476 grams and 3.7 on the other. I would think that most people don't pack the Gypsum, or am I wrong doing it this way. let me know if there is a standard for this for Brewing recipies.

let me know if there is a standard for this for Brewing recipies
Yes there is. The standard is to weigh the water additives (except for liquids.) Weight to volume equivalencies for powders are pretty inaccurate. Would you use a measuring cup to determine how much grain to use?

Brew on :mug:

^right^ I would never recommend using volume for dry ingredients.
I don't think I've ever seen a recipe that actually uses volume for dry ingredients.

fwiw, I packed the teaspoon because any alternative seemed even more pointless :)

Also, that 14+ grams measurement is <cough>suspect<cough>

Cheers!

let me know if there is a standard for this for Brewing recipies.

Yes there is. The standard is to weigh the water additives (except for liquids.) Weight to volume equivalencies for powders are pretty inaccurate. Would you use a measuring cup to determine how much grain to use?

Brew on :mug:
I cringe whenever I see a recipe recommend adding any brewing salts without any way of knowing what the starting water composition is… especially when it’s volume measurements instead of weight.
OP, for what reason are you blindly adding gypsum?

Edit: to answer the OP’s question… with my scale and “teaspoon” I get 5.48g (very similar to @day_trippr) when packed and leveled.

Last edited:
I cringe whenever I see a recipe recommend adding any brewing salts without any way of knowing what the starting water composition is… especially when it’s volume measurements instead of weight.
OP, for what reason are you blindly adding gypsum?

Edit: to answer the OP’s question… with my scale and “teaspoon” I get 5.48g (very similar to @day_trippr) when packed and leveled.
Not really blindly adding any brewing salts. I have been brewing for 13 years and know water very well.

I have recently been brewing some of Gordon Strongs RO recipies with good results. The recipes call for 1/4 tsp of CaCl and in some cases 1/4 tsp of CaS0. I normally use grams because I like getting close, but I do realize that I get to picky about getting close. I will from here on not worry about using grams for those recipies, just do the tsp because it just seems easier. I think this is what Gordon Strong had in mind is to keep things simple with good reasults. I will follow the recipies as they are shown now. Thank you all for your comments and that scale you have been showing me looks very nice I may get one to go along with my other scales. You can never have enough stuff for brewing, right?.

Did something tell you to add 1 tsp of gypsum or are you trying to convert a gypsum measurement given by weight to teaspoons? (Oh, I went back and saw that you said something called for a ¼ tsp. )

If something said to add a tsp. Then unless it said packed, I'd assume they meant what ever it comes out as when scooped and leveled.

I'd be leery of getting a (small) "precision" scale that measures a larger range than the typical 0.01 to 50 (or 100) grams.

For example, the one @AlexKay linked to:
This one from Amazon has done very well for me, too.
mentions in a footnote/disclaimer (my emphasis):
  • Accurate - This GDEALER scale equipped with high sensitivity gravity sensor and wide range, weigh up to 500g. Readings in units: g/ct/dwt/ozt/oz/gn. Note: Weight less than 3g may decrease the accuracy of the scale.
So, beware...

That's true of almost every scale, and you should be using some type of container to hold the salts anyway (which will be far more than 3g itself).

That's true of almost every scale, and you should be using some type of container to hold the salts anyway (which will be far more than 3g itself).
Well, it's true of every inexpensive scale that you can buy on Amazon, and I doubt that too many homebrewers are going to spring for a precision analytical balance. I also don't think the tare weight of the container changes the accuracy of the measurement.

Jewelry scales have the ability to accurately weigh small amounts consistently.

I have two: one in my brew day box and on in my bottling box. Each were bought in 2018. Each continues to accurately weigh the mini-cupcake liners that I use to hold small amounts of brewing salts.

Every time I use one of the scales, I run a quick test of the scale. Turn the scale on (reads 0). Add a mini-cupcake liner (reads 0.185g). Tare the scale. Measure the salt. Easy peasy.

Jewelry scales have the ability to accurately weigh small amounts consistently.

I have two [...]
Add a mini-cupcake liner (reads 0.185g)
I presume those are milligram scales, reading down to 1 thousands of a gram (0.001 gram).
What's their maximum weighing capacity? 10 or 20 gram?

I also don't think the tare weight of the container changes the accuracy of the measurement.
I hope so.
Such scale should be able to resolve 0.01 gram, regardless of whether there's a 0.01 gram object on the scale, 3.01 gram, or 30.01 gram.

If there's a minimum weight (mass) needed to bring the strain gauge into a dependable (linearly responding) region, it should be built into the scale.

This is how I add Gypsum

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230704_062634_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230704_062634_Samsung Internet.jpg
    381.3 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back