Weed Whacker fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zhubbell

Reaction score
So I googled daisy cutter clone and found the recipe for "weed whacker", (id provide a link but im on my phone, sorry) and am brewing as we speak w a few changes.
+.5# 2 row - for a tad more body, and so it's not *too* light if I have any efficiency problems - stil pretty new to AG
Changed the hop schedule all around due to what I had
Pitching US-05, as my LHBS was out of the yeast it called for, rehydrated as per the instructions in "Yeast"

My question is - the recipe says to do 7 days in primary, and 10 days bottling, along with a 5 day dry hop addition.

Is this really enough time?
I'm reading it as: ferment for 7 total days, adding dry hops on day 5, bottling on day 7, and drinking on day 17.
Is this right?? Seems short!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

So I googled daisy cutter clone and found the recipe for "weed whacker", (id provide a link but im on my phone, sorry) and am brewing as we speak w a few changes.
+.5# 2 row - for a tad more body, and so it's not *too* light if I have any efficiency problems - stil pretty new to AG
Changed the hop schedule all around due to what I had
Pitching US-05, as my LHBS was out of the yeast it called for, rehydrated as per the instructions in "Yeast"

My question is - the recipe says to do 7 days in primary, and 10 days bottling, along with a 5 day dry hop addition.

Is this really enough time?
I'm reading it as: ferment for 7 total days, adding dry hops on day 5, bottling on day 7, and drinking on day 17.
Is this right?? Seems short!

Yeah, you're reading that wrong. They're saying dry hop for 5 days after fermentation. Also, you should never think of fermentation in "days" but rather "gravity." Only when gravity is stable is fermentation done. You'll want to check gravity over a few days to make sure it's not going any where, then you can add your hops, let it sit for five days, bottle, and let it condition.

That was my first thought too - but it also says on the recipe "grain to glass: 17 days". That's crazy, right?

That was my first thought too - but it also says on the recipe "grain to glass: 17 days". That's crazy, right?

Not necessarily. It depends on the beer. Lower gravity beers and good procedures can lead to quick turn around. I would think if you're dry hopping, you'd want to leave the hops in a little longer though.

If the recipe does say "grain to glass in 17 days" then my first response was wrong. They may indeed be telling you to dry hop on day five for two days, rather than for five days. I'd still let it sit, though, if it were me. No reason to rush it. I don't think it would be a problem if you did it they way they said to, though. Assuming you have good fermentation temperature control and are pitching a healthy amount of yeast.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I'm going to wait until day 6, check gravity, and if it is at a good gravity, I'll check day 7 and 8, and if stable, dry hop for 5 days, starting day 8, bottling on day 13.
Try at day 23, and go from there.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I'm going to wait until day 6, check gravity, and if it is at a good gravity, I'll check day 7 and 8, and if stable, dry hop for 5 days, starting day 8, bottling on day 13.

Sounds like a winner.

That's what I'd recommend. Honestly, I'd let it go for about two weeks and then dry hop as I'm not usually in a rush to bottle/dry hop.

I feel like this is a good beer to drink fresh, and on my other brews Ive been very patient, (1.5-2.5 month from "grain to glass") so I want to compare drinking it younger. I'll let you guys know my FG when I'm done chilling this thing, and maybe I can get some advice as to we're I should look to finish around?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back