Wee Heavy Partial Mash Recipe Critique - first creation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrbc2012

Reaction score
Hoping I can get some wisdom from the veterans and users on this forum. This is the first time I've "created" my own recipe from scratch - or pulling the concepts from different recipes. I'm looking for a wee heavy with good caramel and a decent "raisin/plum" profile, leaning to a little more of the "liqueur" taste (what temp should I mash at?? 152?). Something close to Founders dirty bastard would be the overall goal. Here's the recipe (I only get about a 63% efficiency):

Maris Otter Pale (UK) 8.0 lb
Crystal 45L (UK) 9.6 oz
Caramel/Crystal 10L (US) 8.0 oz
Caramel/Crystal 120L (US) 8.0 oz
Roasted Barley (UK) 1.8 oz
Dry Malt Extract - Light 5.88 lb

Hops: 2.25 oz East Kent Goldings at 60 min boil (pellets)

Yeast: Wyeast 1728 (any substitute suggestions - maybe a dry yeast to save a few bucks on cost?)

The plan is to caramelize first runnings for at least 15 minutes, and do around a 90 minute boil for added color/flavor.

Thanks for the reviews and thoughts!! Brew On!

I'm thinking the silence is a good thing . . . ? Any input is greatly appreciated. As I said, first "self" creation and really don't want to waste any of the precious budget here. Only get the chance to brew once every few months.

Thanks all, this site has saved me before!

I'd say you don't need the C10 (plenty of other crystal) and you should definitely use the liquid yeast and make a starter for that high an OG. Good luck, sounds tasty!

I agree with youranimpulse on dropping the C-10. Sub it with Munich malt if you want to add some additional malt complexity. Other than that -- looks good.

Thanks for the feedback (and apologies for my late response to you!). I'll drop the C-10 and might add a little of the munich as suggested. if it turns out well, i'll repost the final recipe. I might up the IBUs to closer match the Founder's Dirty Bastard. Not sure if East Kent Goldings is best for this. Any other yeast suggestions? I have no problem making a starter, but have done well with the dry yeast so far.

Thanks again for the responses. I really appreciate the advice to drop the c-10.

Personally, I like the WY1728 for Scotch and Scottish ales. It has a kind of earthy/woody flavor to it that lends itself well to this style.

I've used either EKG or Target in my Scotch ale and like them both.

When you do the carmelization, take the first gallon and reduce it down to a little less than a quart. It will look like a syrup at this point. You will need to watch it carefully towards the latter part of the reduction. The increased viscosity will produce a thick heavy rising foam if not tended.

Back