Wedding S.M.S.H.ish in short order

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rewster452

Reaction score
Hi all!

So, I'm getting married June 21st, and I'm brewing this weekend. The reception is at my house, and I want to have something on tap. My wife and I are both minimalist, and we want a beer that is elegant and simple. What we've decided on, along with my brew partner, is to do 85 percent Vienna, and 15 percent wheat malt (as opposed to flakes or torrified wheat), and just one hop. We don't know which hop though, and that is what I'd like your advice on.

Probably Chico yeast, but suggestions are welcome.

Noting the time frame, it's going to be low gravity, aiming for a top ABV of 4.5%.

P.S. The wheat addition is necessary, I think it'll give it a summerish feel in the mouth and smooth it out. A lot of different types of beer drinkers are going to have to like this. I'm a little nervous about it. Oh, and the wedding too.

Congrats! I'm getting married on June 26 and I brewed Denny Conn's Bourbon Vanilla Porter (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f126/bourbon-vanilla-porter-ag-30185/) last Sunday for the occasion! Good idea on choosing a brew with a low ABV and simple that will be ready. Mine will probably be a little green come wedding time. I also started some Edwort's Apfelwein in December that I heavily carbonated and bottled in champagne bottles for the reception toast. The homebrew is going to be a hit at the wedding!

Why not try Willamette? It has a very nice flavor that would match your summer mood (and festive day!)

Why not try Willamette? It has a very nice flavor that would match your summer mood (and festive day!)

That's a great idea! I haven't used williamette in years, but as I remember, it should fit the occasion perfectly.

Thanks!

I'm still open to other suggestions, as I won't be buying the ingredients until sometime next week, but I'm pretty sold on williamette.

Oh, also, original post should read "brewing NEXT weekend."

The wedding is in four days, and the wedding beer is kegged, carbonated, and ready to go. We ended up using a little magnum in the first addition for monetary reasons (reaching the desired IBU with only williamette would have been prohibitively expensive), but stuck with the 85/15 Vienna/wheat ratio.

I just tasted it, and it is possibly the most balanced beer I've made to date. I'm pleased.

Back