Wedding Reception Location

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yacov327

Reaction score
Hello all.

I am trying to find a location for a wedding reception that would let us bring in our own alcohol. Over the past year I have been working on 4 recipes that I would like to have a tap.

Has anyone else done an event like this before and how might you suggest looking for a venue that would allow you to bring in your own alcohol? So far I have just been looking and different venues websites trying to figure out what they do and do not allow.

I got an opportunity to cater a wedding about a year ago. They had it in a ball room thing at a popular lighthouse wedding venue. I was surprised there were really no regulations (that I encountered). To me, it was basically one giant "private" event, so no ones really gonna call the authorities on you since they want to be there and know the couple getting married. I may be wrong, but I think you are actually allowed to serve homebrew to friends and family, just no in public and certainly not for profit. I dont think a wedding counts as a "public" event

out of curiousity, what 4 styles are you picking? I brewed 4 batches specifically for the wedding based on the couples choosing and brought like a 12 pack of 4 or 5 other beers. They only had my beer and home-mixed sangria at the wedding so I worried about supply

Phone calls, or those online wedding forum websites.

Location is one piece of the puzzle, though. You also need to find a caterer who doesn't insist on exclusive beverage stuff.

There is a Bloodmoon IPA recipe that was floating around the forums for a while, I have been working on a BIAB recipe for it. In addition a Hoppy Wheat, similar to Boulevards 80 Acre. I have two stouts that I have not picked between. And a light lager for "those" guests, though I haven't been satisfied with the results so far. But I have some time.

For the BMC folks, I just brewed my light pale ale and just told them it was "lagered" (technically it was for like 3 weeks in my neighbors fridge). Anyone that claims to only like "lagers" can never tell me what a lager is. I just give them something light and easy drinking.

The saison was gone before anything else though. Ive found they are popular with wine drinkers too as well as most BMC folks. I might try one of those before investing all the time and equipment needed for an actual pilsner

yacov327 - Kansas has some really archaic home brew laws, so I would be careful about bringing home-brew to a wedding. I believe you are still only allowed to consume home-brew on the premises where it was made and only by immediate family members, with the exception that you can take it to competitions and home brew club meetings for evaluation purposes.

But I am not a lawyer, so you should probably check with someone who is familiar with the law.

Once again, reiterating that I am not a lawyer and this should not be considered legal advice, I did look up some information about the recent changes to the Kansas liquor laws, and you may be OK with the wedding reception. Here are a couple of pertinent sections:
Section 1. K.S.A. 2013 Supp. 41-104 is hereby amended to read as follows: 41-104. No person shall manufacture, bottle, blend, sell, barter, transport, deliver, furnish or possess any alcoholic liquor for beverage purposes, except as specifically provided in this act, the club and drinking establishment act or article 27 of chapter 41 of the Kansas Statutes An- notated, and amendments thereto, except that nothing contained in this act shall prevent:
(a) The possession and transportation of alcoholic liquor for the per- sonal use of the possessor, the possessor’s family and guests except that the provisions of K.S.A. 41-407, and amendments thereto, shall be ap- plicable to all persons;
(b) the making of wine, cider or beer by a person from fruits, vege- tables or grains, or the product thereof, by simple fermentation and with- out distillation, if it is made solely for the use of the maker and, the maker’s family, guests and judges at a contest or competition of such beverages, provided, the maker receives no compensation for producing such beverages or for allowing the consumption thereof;
(j) For purposes of subsection (b), the term ‘‘guest’’ means a natural person who is known to the host and receives a personal invitation to an event conducted by the host. The term ‘‘guest’’ shall not mean a natural person who receives an invitation to an event conducted by the host when such invitation has been made available to the general public.​

Ooo thanks for the note ifnotuthenwho, I'll be sure to check on that with someone, I'll also have to check on MO laws (though they are better in all facets) as we might doing it on that side.

Back in 2013 in CA for my reception, I looked at two different locations. The first told me that I had to have security and insurance if I provided alcohol. The second, which we went with, was a country club. They already had the liquor license, it was a private club so no security needed, and we were allowed to bring in our own. Now, I didn't tell them if it was homebrew or commercial (semantics) but we did have both at the party. I would just be honest to the locations that you are looking at, tell them you want to bring your own beer and see what they say.

Hey there, finding a good location for your wedding reception is a difficult task and it needs to be decided first as all the decoration and wedding theme directly depends on the venue. Therefore, you should search on wedding venue listing sites where you can find venue according to your requirement and near to your location. Recently for my cousin's wedding in Boca Raton we were also planning to bring outside alcohol to the venue, then after searching got to know about The Cruz Building, Deering Estate at Cutler, The Loft at Congress and many other but due to budget and other conditions we booked The Addison of Boca Raton and cancelled the alcohol plan at the wedding.

Back