Wedding Gift: All Grain Equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSorenson

Reaction score
I am going to a wedding of a friend and band mate who works for a beer distributor. He himself is into craft beer and has gone to one of those places that will help you brew 15 gallons of whatever beer you want.

He has invited me to his wedding and is letting my girlfriend come with me so I want to do something nice for him. His gift registry is all bought up so I have to come up with something nice for him. So why not a very basic all grain set up?

This is where you come in: I want to get him a setup so he can brew in an apartment kitchen. I would like to give him all of the equipment needed including packaging. I would also like to do this for about $100 (jobless and a student at the moment).

The first concern: Brewing 5 gallons of all grain in your kitchen is a chore. The equipment is larger, the stove top isn't really good at dealing with those volumes,... the list goes on. I think a 2 gallon set up would be a great one for him. Here is what I am thinking:

1) 16 quart stock pot (stainless)
2) nylon bag for BIAB
3) 3 gallon bucket with blow-off assembly
4) 3 gallon bucket with spigot and wand assembly (for bottling)
4) digital thermometer
5) a hydrometer (of course)

To make sure he comes up with a good beer he will enjoy, I will write down some great saison recipies using WYeast 3711. This should take care of the fermentation temperature concern until he figures out if he wants to invest in temperature control.

So what do you guys say about this? Thoughts? Ideas?

EDIT: also... anyone ever find a 3 gallon fermenting bucket anywhere?!

EDIT X2: Also need a racking cane, tubing, and a stainless steel spoon. Maybe a capper, too.

If you want it to be all inclusive then a racking cane and capper are pretty vital. Other than that I think you are on the right track.

If you want it to be all inclusive then a racking cane and capper are pretty vital. Other than that I think you are on the right track.

You are so right, I forgot all about those two items. thanks!

Actually... one more question:

It's been a very long time since I used them, but what about those .5 liter brown PET bottles? That might be better for him rather than glass, caps and a capper...

Rather than a racking cane I'd include an auto-syphon - lots of uses and so much easier that starting a regular syphon.

Rather than a racking cane I'd include an auto-syphon - lots of uses and so much easier that starting a regular syphon.

I have gotten lazy with my terminology: I only ever use an auto siphon and that is what I was thinking of when I said "racking cane". Good catch though!

You should probably include the ingredients for the first beer or at least a gift certificate that he could use to buy them.

What does he need a stainless spoon for? I'm sure someone on his registry bought some kind of stainless implement that could be used instead. Also check to see if he got a digital thermometer.

You should probably include the ingredients for the first beer or at least a gift certificate that he could use to buy them.

What does he need a stainless spoon for? I'm sure someone on his registry bought some kind of stainless implement that could be used instead. Also check to see if he got a digital thermometer.

I like having a dedicated brew spoon. But we do use the brewing thermometer for other things. As well as the scale.

Give him the cash. The gift is supposed to be for him and his wife.

As someone who recently got married, don't listen to this guy (listen to me instead, lol).

Give them an actual gift, they will get plenty of cash from other people. I introduced my then girlfriend now wife to brewing and she loves it. It is something we enjoy sharing together. If you're super concerned the bride won't get any pleasure out of your very thoughtful (IMO) gift, get them something small off their registry as well (maybe something that can be used for brewing? Small sauce pan for rehydrating yeast, measuring cups/spoons, whisk (perfect for aerating wort))

Back