watery beer,possibly due to fining agents?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGriff731

Reaction score
Hey guys this is the first post! I'm pretty sure I've got a problem. Started out with a brewers best german oktoberfest everything done per provided directions. Primary 2fermenter weeks secondary 2 weeks. 2 days before bottling I added Super-Kleer to my carbohydrates according to directions on the packet. During bottling I added ascorbic acid (just to try it out) I think I may never again. I added the reccomended 1tsp/5gal. I did that, then presumed to have a taste, only to find a slighty watery and citrusy oktoberfest, I know the kit wasn't going to be spectacular, but it shouldn't have been that. Would either of these two agents possibly cause the effects that I am having? All comments and he'll appreciated this is one of mu first handful of brews would love the great minds on here to help!!! :)I

Let's see, you sampled a warm uncarbonated beer and decided it was watery and are trying to blame that on one of two agents? How about you let it carbonate and mature a bit and then taste another sample? Give it 3 weeks in the bottle to carbonate and perhaps another week or 2 to mature and then give us a report.

Thanks for the warm welcome.......just to bring you up to speed I have most of it kegged, bottled 6 12oz. The temp in my keggorator is around 34...is carbed, tastes basically the same. Does it just need yo set in the keg for a few weeks or what? I would appreciate help instead of sarcasm. :)I

It would be best if you walk us through your brewing process a bit. It could be that you used too much top-off water. It could also be that it was fermented too dry, which can give it less body, so it's good if you post your gravity readings. You also mentioned that it is an Oktoberfest, which usually uses lager yeast. Did you ferment it at lager temperatures? Additionally, and I hate to say it, but many kits (especially extract) are light on body because they either don't have enough specialty grains, or the best ones. People usually just figure out how the kit tastes and re-brew it with what hops and specialty grains they like. Rest assured, you're doing the right thing. You're brewing, adjusting, brewing...

Teromous, thanks! Like I said I followed the directions exactly. Steep times, hop addition times, with 2.5 gallons of O2, same for top of O2. The only thing that was slighty off was the steep temp, it was high by maybe 5 degrees too high. Unfortunately I did not get gravity readings, why idk, I need to get into the habbit. Lager yeast was used with yeast nutriet and recommend doasage. It was in a cold basement entire month which usually held low 0's. The last two days I did bring it upstairs into about an upper 60's climate where I.added the Super-Kleer. I'm confused honestly, I'm sure it's something silly, or maybe it just needs to sit, who knows. Certainly appreciate the help!

Not many beer brewers use ascorbic acid to prevent oxidation. We usually just rely on fermentation and short shelf-lives to do that. Vit C is usually used in the homemade wine angle because wines are usually aged longer than beers.

Also, I cant imagine why adding ascorbic acid/finnings would cause you to have a "thin" body. Ascorbic is an antioxidant (or in some circles, a preservative) and finnings dont effect dissolved solutes(residual sugars), only colloidal substrates like proteins/chill haze.

I agree with the Teromous and say that Vit C/finnings was most likely not your culprit.

Without gravity readings, it is very hard -if not impossible- to help quantify your description of "watery" because your description of "watery" is a qualification not a quantification. Its possible that your expectations of the beer out-weighed the beer's potential and it might seem watery to you.

I'm really sorry we can't help discern a solution to your problem very easily, but without gravity readings its really hard to quantify. You should brew it again, take some readings, and re-evaluate if you think it was too thin.
-Jefe-

Thanks for the warm welcome.......just to bring you up to speed I have most of it kegged, bottled 6 12oz. The temp in my keggorator is around 34...is carbed, tastes basically the same. Does it just need yo set in the keg for a few weeks or what? I would appreciate help instead of sarcasm. :)I

Sorry for the sarcasm but you didn't provide too much info in that first post. I do try to be helpful but I need something to start with.

Back