Waterproof Switch for march Pump - How to build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure exactly what you're looking to make? How about one of the grey plastic PVC outdoor switchboxes and covers from Lowes? Then you put say a nice 15A commercial switch inside and some watertight connectors on the conduit fittings?

Like this, if so then what porcupine said.

ForumRunner_20121023_202506.jpg

Yep, what they said. Lowes carries a two switch version of that too. I just have two regular 15A light switches in an outdoor enclosure with that plate cover on it, works great.

I would say yes use a commercial grade switch, those are maybe $2, whereas the damn cheapass residential switches that are 50 cents, in my experience, those things are complete garbage. Ditto for outlets.

For wire gauge just go with #14 or if desired #12. Yes if the pump is only a couple amps you could get away with #16, but the price difference for the lengths you'd need is negligible, and #16 and smaller start to get pretty thin which can be a durability concern.

Thanks everyone Post#7 is what I want to do. I am plugging into a GFCI outlet so I dont think another GFCI on the same circuit would work. Is the Wiring the same with a normal outlet vs GFCI?

Yes the wiring for GFCI is the same as a regular outlet. Just make sure you have proper ground.

Thanks everyone Post#7 is what I want to do. I am plugging into a GFCI outlet so I dont think another GFCI on the same circuit would work. Is the Wiring the same with a normal outlet vs GFCI?

Another GFCI on the same circuit works fine if you want to go that way.
That is what I did. And it works fine.

Back