Water Report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProfX

Reaction score
I've read all sorts of things regarding water quality. Now that I'm ready to make the move to all grain, I've read that the RO water I've been using for extract brewing will not work very well. I'd hate getting ahead of myself by messing with water chemistry being that I'm still pretty new to the homebrew game, but I'd like to know that my water isn't hurting my beer. The one constant I've read is that the Calcium Levels should be at least at 50PPM, after pulling my water report I can see that my tap water hits the mark (close enough). My concern is all the other stuff in the water that I haven't read about. So I was hoping one of the more experienced guys could help me decipher my water report and let me know if using tap water instead of RO water would help or hurt my beer:

http://www.ntmwd.com/downloads/WaterQualityAnalysis/wqa_wylie_2014.pdf

The styles I'm interested in brewing right now are Ales, Stouts and Pilsners. Thanks in advance!

Well, first of all RO water is absolutely perfect for all-grain brewing. You can add some calcium chloride to it, and/or some gypsum, but overall it's a perfect water for brewing.

For pilsners, particularly Czech pilsners, RO water is the right water to use without any worries.

For other beers, your tap water may be ok if diluted with RO water. You have a pretty high sodium and sulfate level and you'll want to dilute that.

Your bicarbonate looks fine for many beers. You'll want to treat to remove chlorine in your tap water, and often a campden tablet for 20 gallons of water is all that is needed to get rid of chlorine and/or chloramines.

Latest posts

Back