Water Report - RO impact

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tribe Fan

Reaction score
So I just got the Ward labs results back. I have a well and I took a sample straight from the well and one after softening. Here is the result straight from the well:

I've brewed a batch of Rye Pale Ale and an Octoberfest with this water, making no adjustments. Any flavor issues I should be looking for? The first batch of RPA was astringent coming out of the secondary, but that has cleared after 2 weeks in the bottle and a week in the fridge. Tastes pretty good, but not my best. Hop profile is muted. I'm dry hopping the other half of the batch now.

Also, I am installing a new RO unit with a 22 gal tank. How should I expect this water profile to change?

TIA.

Water.jpg

Wow, that's a hard water profile. Mine's hard, and I only have 338 TDS ppm. My total hardness is 340.

How should you expect the profile to change with RO? You'll have essentially all zeroes. My TDS ppm after my RO filter is about 7.

Good to build from. Your water would probably do well for the darkest beers, but for lighter ones, no.

My beer became much better when I started paying attention to water and to ferm temperature. You're well on your way to solving the first one. Some beers I use 1 gallon of my hard tap water to 3 gallons RO water (this for the mash, I sparge w/ RO water). Other beer is built up from only RO water. For a porter, I'm doing half tap and half RO. I won't be doing stouts, which my water is actually fairly good for, I'm not a stout fan.

All your numbers (except pH) should drop from 1 to 5% of what you see in your report. With a new system should be closer to 1% than 5%. Be sure to hook it up after the softener for maximum membrane life.

Back