Water profile from distilled for a hoppy pale wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrojanAnteater

Reaction score
Looking for quick input as I get the hang of building water from scratch. Does everything here check out ok? Recipe is going to be a small batch (3.5 gallons) hoppy pale wheat ale. Many thanks for any input!

Grains:
2-Row 3.5 lbs
Malted Wheat 2.75lbs
Cara-pils 0.4 lbs

Starting Water (ppm):
Ca: 0
Mg: 0
Na: 0
Cl: 0
SO4: 0
HCO3: 0

Mash / Sparge Vol (gal): 2.5 / 2.6
RO or distilled %: 100% / 0%

Total Grain (lb): 6.7

Adjustments (grams) Mash / Boil Kettle:
CaSO4: 1 / 1.04
CaCl2: 1 / 1.04
MgSO4: 1 / 1.04
NaHCO3: 0 / 0
CaCO3: 0 / 0
Lactic Acid (ml): 2.5
Sauermalz (oz): 0

Mash Water / Total water (ppm):
Ca: 53 / 53
Mg: 10 / 10
Na: 0 / 0
Cl: 51 / 51
SO4: 100 / 100
Cl to SO4 Ratio: 0.51 / 0.51

Alkalinity (CaCO3): -310
RA: -353
Estimated pH: 5.43
(room temp)

I'd go with just the calcium chloride in a first attempt. Hops are muted in wheat beers - the last thing you want is sulfate bite.

Hey AJ, thanks for the reply, quick follow up question- I'm using S-05 for this so it's suppose to be a clean beer, don't want it to resemble a straight up german or american wheat beer. This would be more similar to a Gumballhead, or Modern Times Fortunate Islands. These are hop-centered beers (moreso for the Modern Times) with a hefty dose of malted wheat. With that being said, would you up the Sulfate level in there, over not having any at all?

Very curious to opinions on this as well. Side note to OP but I think the madfermentationist posted his water profile for the hoppy wheat trials which morphed into Fortunate Islands.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Sorry, thought you were trying to make a wheat beer when in fact you are making a beer with wheat. None of the guidance that ordinarily goes for wheat beer, including that for muted hopping, is applicable in this case IOW you are free to do whatever you want. Given that I can't answer the question about the sulfate. You will have to experiment with it to see what level gives you the beer you want. I usually recommend that you start low and work up basing additions on taste tests of a low sulfate beer to which sulfate has been added in the glass.

Back