Water Profile for Kolsch? ~30 Sodium too high?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosoup4me

Reaction score
My tap water is very close to Yellow Balanced in Brunwater. And I can get there with a little bit of Gypsum and some RO dillution to get my sodium down a bit. But even at 40% dilution my Sodium is 6x the recommended amount.

Can you really taste 30 ppm of Na in a light beer or am I good to go with the below?

D48yTIs.jpg

*Finished Water Profile*
Calcium - 52
Magnesium - 6
Sodium - 32
Sulfate - 75
Chloride - 60

With your SO4 level being fairly low I highly doubt any tasters would be able to call the beer 'salty'. When you get into high SO4 levels you want to watch your Na level as the combination can have a mineralized taste but with a low mineral profile like yours you should be fine. It will be a good test for a light beer.

30ppm Na is not high at all. I would suggest bringing the SO4 down, you don't want a "sharpness" to the hops in a Kolsch IMO. Get the Ca2 you need from Calcium Cloride rather than gypsum here.

I agree with others. 30 ppm sodium is like nothing.

FWIW, the water in Koln actually has about 50 ppm sodium, and 100 ppm each of calcium, sulfate, and chloride.

's all good.

I agree with others. 30 ppm sodium is like nothing.

FWIW, the water in Koln actually has about 50 ppm sodium, and 100 ppm each of calcium, sulfate, and chloride.

's all good.

Thanks, Dave. I think this is the first time I ever saw the numbers for Cologne's water.

Back