Water pouring out of freezer lid?!?!?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramdough

Reaction score
So, I defrosted the freezer that I plan to eventually use as a keezer and opened the drain to let it drain out.

The next day, I opened the lid to see if it was done and water poured out of the edge of the lid.

I the poked on the top and underside of the lid and it feels really soft and the lid has very little torsional rigidity.

I am wondering if the foam insulation in the lid has separated from the actual lid carcass.

I bought the think new, and did notice that I would get condensation collecting on the lid, but figured it was high humidity in the garage.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks in advance.

How many years old is it? They switched from fiberglass bat to foam in place somewhere along the line. The only time I have seen water pour from a lid is with the fiberglass insulation...

Okay, it should be closed cell foam and will drain. Being used as a keezer it shouldn't frost up and collect water. I would pull the lid off, fold back the gasket to get at the screws and remove the inner liner and the foam and let it all dry so no mold forms.

I have a nice slug of ice residing in the lid of my freezer that was once my keezer. Same thing started to happen a couple weeks ago when I attempted to defrost and organize my hops. I ceased operations and am letting it be frozen. It is unlikely that I will put the effort forth to remedy the situation in the near future. Insulation in the lid is fiberglass.

Odd, even my cheap Haier freezer has foam insulation... my 15 year old GE is fiberglass. I do a quick defrost by using hot water to break the ice free inside and don't let the lid thaw.

Latest posts

Back