Water lines to brew house

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZEDEH

Reaction score
I have been debating on how I should do this for about a week. I have build a shed that I would like to be my brew house. I plan on running water to a deep sink within the shed. Hot water is not a big concern however it would be nice.

I was thinking either bury some pex a few feet down to the shed which would run me about $60-$70 bucks, or get a potable water garden hose and just tap into the spicket on the side of the house and those hoses run about the same price.

My concern is freezing, I live in Eastern NC and we get about 1-2 months of pretty cold weather that may freeze the pex.

Didn't know if anyone has done this, and what they suggest. And if so, what do you insulate the pex with as it comes out of the ground.

Do you just create a bend in the pex as it enters the building or just put a 90 fitting on.( i have seen that the pex fittings are not good to bury)

Cheers.

How cold does it get? I would think that a "few feet down" is deep enough to keep them from freezing. Can you direct bury PEX? I've buried a lot of the white PVC sprinkler tubing, it's usually about a dime a foot.

That's what I figured. I need to re plumb my house anyways so maybe this will get me to do it.

Hey did you ever do this? I'm looking at a shed and thinking about plumbing.

I put a farm hydrant right next to my pole barn and hose in during the summer. In the winter a hand truck and two 30 gal food safe barrels full of water is all i need. come on folks let put the billy back in brewing!

Back