Water Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HossTheGreat

Reaction score
In the AG forum, I posted a thread about helping me pinpoint a "grainy" off flavor/aroma in my AG beers. Here's a link to the thread.

Anyway, I'm sort of leaning towards the issue being with my corona style mill. I think I've been grinding at way to high of a speed (using a single speed 1200 RPM drill) and getting a lot of flour in my crush. Others have suggested an issue with water. I posted what little I know about my water profile, but figured I'd get a little better response by posting it here.

Basically, the only info that our water dept was able to provide is as follows"

Link to Water Chemical Tests
Additional info:
Finished water pH – 6.8 to 7.0
Finished water Hardness - <50 mg/l
Finished water alkalinity &#8211; 12-18 mg/l

Thanks for any help you all can provide. :mug:

You are to be envied. This water is very low in everything and can be, with proper mineral additions, used for most any styles. In pale beers your pH will probably be a bit high. Have a look at the Primer in the Stickies for general guidance.

You are to be envied. This water is very low in everything and can be, with proper mineral additions, used for most any styles. In pale beers your pH will probably be a bit high. Have a look at the Primer in the Stickies for general guidance.

Thanks for the info! One thing that i did forget to mention in my OP is that I do always use 5.2 in my mash as well.

Back