Water Filter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rohlk

Reaction score
I put this together last year, got it at Lowe's, simple, easy, works. I'm using an RV hose, not sure if its needed but I'd rather have it just to be sure. The copper on the outlet runs to the bottom of the HLT. I'm proud of it.

DSCF3543.jpg

I have a similar setup (no copper, all CPVC) and I am into it for about $40.

OP how do you store it when not in use? I have only used mine one brew day and after, I opened it up to drain it and let it air dry before putting it in my brew day box.

I have a similar setup (no copper, all CPVC) and I am into it for about $40.

OP how do you store it when not in use? I have only used mine one brew day and after, I opened it up to drain it and let it air dry before putting it in my brew day box.

That is basically what I do as well.

I take it all apart, air dry, and store it in my hlt with my hoses and stuff.
As for cost, I don't recall exactly but some where around $50 maybe. Its paid for its self at this point.

Doubt I change mine anymore that yearly. These are designed for whole house systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Is it really needed when you are running the water through a filter anyway? I absolutely hate storing hoses, so I really don't want to own 50' of RV hose just for brewing.

With a high quality filter probably not, but I would still use one to insure the best quality water I can get.

I think my filter is a 2 micron. I run it really slow, roughly a gallon per minute. I may consider an RV hose if they pop back up on Homebrew Finds again on the cheap. Again, I just hate storing hoses.

Wal-Mart carries 25 and 50 ft RV hoses cheap. Is it needed if we are running the water through a filter? Probably not, but I still remember what drinking from a garden hose as a kid tasted like. So I want the best for my beer.

Our water here is so hard I bet it would always taste terrible prefilter. I should have it tested pre and post filter

I also change my filter yearly, although they are probably good for more than that, depending on how many gallons you put through them.

On my hose I cut the end off and added a swivel barb which happens to spray where it swivels. I corrected that by adding an additional rubber washer on top of the rubber washer that was in place. Probably could have done it differently, but it works.

Also, I like to flush mine for a few minutes before each brew day.

Back