Water: Filter or RO?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lou1998

Reaction score
Hi all,
Since moving into a new house, I had some off flavors with my beers. I narrowed down the problem to my water. My tap water has a faint sulfur odor, is hard, highly alkaline and from what I gather it is treated with chloramine.
My last batch I used spring water and it improved my beer significantly. However, I would like an in-home solution so I don't have to run out and get water every time I brew.
Will a filtration system work to make my water suitable for brewing or should I look at a RO system and add salts?
Thanks for any feedback.

I'm happy with the filter system for central FL water but would opt for an RO if the cost is reasonable. If I lived near the coast in FL then definitely an RO.

A RO system would be the most appropriate alternative. Carbon filters and particulate filters do not remove most of the ionic contaminants you don't want in your water.

If your water is hard just save yourself a lot of trouble and get an RO system. I battled hard water for years before getting an RO system and I wish I had done it way sooner. You'll love it for brewing as well as drinking/cooking...

As with everyone thus far, I recommend the RO system if you can afford it.

If you cannot afford it, see if you can borrow someone's (friend, family, etc.) filter and see if that gives you the water quality that you want. If you don't have one you can borrow, ask a neighbor if they have filter and if you can brew a batch with their water. (As they should have the same water as you, check for softener, etc in their home.

If it turns out, then there is your solution go get a filter.

Just to note, you shouldn't use RO water to mash. If you do, you should add some a few salts/minerals and things (like gypsum, baking soda, etc.) to it first. You can use something like https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/ or many other calculators to help you determine how much of what to add.

RO water is fine for extract brewing, as the extract already has the minerals from the water that the extract maker used.

I have a 50 gallon a day RO system from H2O club. It was actually pretty cheap and I added a 65 PSI boost pump to improve reject ratio to good water percentage. Much better mouth feel, keeps a head longer and allows the subtle flavors to show through. All together with booster I have right about 100 bucks in the RODI system, a 4 gallons surge tank and the boost pump. Definately has been worth the money so far.

Wheelchair Bob

I would go with an RO system as well, but how much do you brew at a time. The standard RO filter system produces roughly 50 gallons a day with only a tank that can hold 3.2 gallons depending on your incoming pressure. If you brewing more than that at a time, look for a bigger tank or an RO water filter that can produce more gallons per day. In fact you can get a RO filter that fits those standard systems that can produce up to 100 gallons per day thus not needing to find a bigger system just the RO membrane. Some big box stores have those for a couple of hundred dollars, but a bigger tank is a different question altogether. Thought I would let you know and have a great day

Frieso Pouwer CWS-VI, WT-1, and Journeyman Plumber/Gasfitter

Thanks everyone for your input. I decided to get some RO water from the grocery store and try using it with some salt additions. If it goes well I might look into a RO system. Right now I have only been brewing about once or twice a month, but would like to brew more once I get my water situation resolved.
Thanks again for the help!

Back