Water Bottles for Fermenters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guidry

Reaction score
Just noticed that Walmart has 3gal refillable water bottles for 6 bucks. Been thinking of brewing some small batches....Would these be safe for fermenting? Anyone ever use these?

If the recycle code is a 1 they are probably ok. If its a 3,5,7 I would just use a smaller bucket.

I used the 5 gal one for a while as my water sucked and it came with water. A plus is just rinse it out and return it for a clean one. Not sure if the water co cared much for me....

I know this thought has gone through every thrifty homebrewer's mind. I'm sure it's possible to ferment in them, but please consider all of the possible places this vessel has been before you :)
I've seen a few too many people relieve themselves into these water jugs ;)
If you are confident in your cleanliness and sanitation practices, then it could be a good option for you.

I'm not talking about the bottles that are exchanged for filled ones. Walmart sells new bottles in the plumbing section, 5 & 3 gallon size.

I have two of them and have done 4 smaller brews in them. I plan to do more this winter when it is too cold for outdoor brewing. Just check the code. I think that one is the best and 2 is OK, the rest are questionable.

I know this thought has gone through every thrifty homebrewer's mind... but please consider all of the possible places this vessel has been before you... I've seen a few too many people relieve themselves into these water jugs

I just LOL'ed for 5 minutes!

I've read that they can't handle the acidity of the fermenting wort and they can break down over time, so it's not recommended to use them. That said, I made a batch in once, and I'm still kickin'.

Plastic carboys/buckets aren't much more anyway.

I've read that they can't handle the acidity of the fermenting wort and they can break down over time, so it's not recommended to use them. That said, I made a batch in once, and I'm still kickin'.

Plastic carboys/buckets aren't much more anyway.

I don't know where you are getting your Plastic carboys and buckets gut the Walmart bottles I got were $5 ea. My Bucket was $12 at the LHBS and my Better Bottles averaged about $22.50 and one was on a 2 for 1 sale.

I just checked my bottles... #3 OMG! I'm going to die!!!

Your Better Bottles are code 3? You got sold some imitations. Mine are #1....They are marketed as PET and therefore the higher price.

Back