Water Adjustments, so much confusion, please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramgeva

Reaction score
Hi All
Newb here, well I should get my water report soon (it take ages to get it in my country ) and I read a lot of threads, articles and on-line books but it seems that the more I read the more confusion I have and I must say that I'm very excited to begin homebrew and to be honest this is a little buzz killer, unfortunately, so please help me with this issue once and for all and hopefully it will also help others.

1. What should I really do? PH adjustment? Water according to color (John.P) or Both?
2. What calculator should I use? (Palmer Spreadsheet, Bru'n or E.Z)? in the Palmer spreadsheet there is no mentioning about PH (except for sparge water).
Should I combine few calculators? can I trust the estimations and than test the real Mash PH and do more adjustments?
3. What should I use? (Gypsum, Calc. Chloride, Epsom Salt, Lactic Acid etc...)? I know that it can cause to off flavors in large amounts, how do I know the acceptable ranges? and again in E.Z calc I'm adjusting the PH but I need also to Adjust to color (palmer) how can I balance between the two without having one spreadsheet for Both?

I know I have so much questions but it is really the only thing I didn't manage to figure out by myself and really need yore help.
Thanks all

Back