Washing Yeast, Not sure I got it right

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norwegianBrewer

Reaction score
It's my first time washing/reusing yeast, and it just doesn't look like I was told it would.

Did I manage to get just trub here, and no yeast at all?

It's been in the fridge for a day now, and this is what it looks like

4kR9oPT.jpg

You only let it sit for about 20 minutes. You cold crashed this. Swirl it around a bit after it has warmed up a little, let it sit for about 10 minutes, and you should see the different layers.

Did you add any sterilized, de-oxygenated water to this?? It looks awfully dark.

I added 1/2 gallon of sterilized water to it. It was probably not enough. Some beer was left over, and since this is a stout, I guess that's why it's dark.

I left if for 30 minutes, hoping i would be able to decant it then, but no chance....so that's why i cold crashed it. hoping that would fix it.
So then I cold crashed it. It has been in the fridge for 22 hours now. Starting to see some faint layering.

Should have used a narrower vessel I think.

It's my first time washing/reusing yeast, and it just doesn't look like I was told it would.

Did I manage to get just trub here, and no yeast at all?

It's been in the fridge for a day now, and this is what it looks like

4kR9oPT.jpg

don't bother washing it at all. next time just sterilize some glass jars and scoop the yeast cake into the jars. on your next brew day let the jar come to room temps and pitch the appropriate amount for the gravity of the beer.

some people worry about the old trub and so on but i can't detect any off flavors from a little bit of trub. the local brewery where i get yeast slurry from doesn't wash yeast, they pump it from one tank to the next. when you wash it down to the level of just yeast and no trub you have to hope all of that back and forth didn't introduce some contaminant into the yeast that will rear it's head later on.

Some yeasts seem to be easier to wash too. This one may be one of the tougher ones. Having such a dark beer makes it tough too. This time, you just may have to do it as eastoak suggested.

Back