washing wlp007 HELP please?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi My first time washing/harvesting yeast yesterday. Unfortunately for me it was white labs wlp007! An amazing yeast but a beast, by all accounts, to wash! Hopefully ive attached some pics and would like someone with more knowledge than me to look at the pics as it doesnt look like any other yeast washing pics ive seen? no relly distinct creamy layer on top, its look more like its underneath!! My main questions are this:
1: these 3 came all from the same batch, do they look ok?
2: Should I just decant the beer and pitch into a starter whats left?
3: Can I do that with the 3 containers thus giving me 3 sets of yeast for the next batches or will that not give me enough cells? I have a stir plate.
4: Should I chuck the lot and just split my next starter to create more batches of yeast from one purepitch pack?

There was literally a half inch layer of yeast/trub in the primary but to be honest it looked very clean with little trub etc? I chucked half away after filling 2 large jars!!

IMG_2356.JPG

IMG_2357.JPG

IMG_2358.JPG

IMG_2359.JPG

Have you kept it in the fridge? I've started washing yeast about ten batches ago and noticed the white layer of yeast doesnt always form until after a couple days of cold crashing the suspended yeast to the bottom. Honestly over ten batches ive had yeast layers from a mm to a cm thick, and some that look like yours. Seems to be all over the place. I usually fill 4-5 jars, and always seem to get one that has a thick layer from a sweet spot pour where the yeast was suspended. That bottom pick looks to me like it has a thin layer on it. I have never washed 007 before, but I have a stout fermenting with it right now so I can post pics of mine in a week or so.

I also don't let mine sit as long as some instructions say btw. I tend to get more trub in my saved jars but i just figured it was a trade off to get more yeast. By this i mean pour off into my saving jars when it is still very cloudy.

Well, I went ahead and made a starter with the bottom jar picture above and boom!! The damn thing just about exploded instantly!! had to turn the stirplate off and put flask on a large plate to catch all the blow off!! I think its pretty viable yeast after all, Thanks for your help everyone.

Back