washing chocolate stout yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horsey

Reaction score
I brewed a chocolate stout last week and ended up boiling about 6 oz of cocoa powder during the last 5 minutes of the boil. I was wondering if it would be at all possible to wash the yeast when it is done fermenting or has the addition of cocoa powder ruled out any chance of reusing the yeast.

you could re-use the yeast - I don't see why the cocoa powder would not drop before the yeast in suspension would (which is the basis behind washing yeast) but I may be wrong - my swmbo tells me I'm wrong all the time.

dunno. try it and find out. I'd only suggest doing it with another chocolate stout though. I think there would probably be some chocolate flavors going into the next pitch...

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to try to wash it for my next stout.

I washed the yeast from my last batch of mocha stout (cocoa in boil), and while I haven't used it yet, I've got a nice thick layer of yeast in the jar. The water does remain brown, though, so I'd definitely only use it only for another stout.

I'm going to use mine for stouts only. I'll let you know how it turns out next time I use it.

Back