Washed WLP002 question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asidrane

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I washed my wlp002 cake last week and ended up with it split between three ball jars, but the yeast isn't evenly distributed. Should I try to spread the big ones to more jars, or just leave them be? Thanks

IMG_0674.jpg

A couple of things:

1. That yeast doesn't look well-washed. Could just be the lighting, but typically the wort remaining on top would be much more pale.

THAT SAID:

2. Are you wanting to just pitch what you have there, or do you plan on making a starter? Every single one of those jars has enough yeast (yes, even the middle one) to give you great cell count with a starter.

3. In my experience, 2nd (or 3rd, or 4th, or 5th, etc.) generation yeast tends to be more active (unless you've stressed the **** out of it) than the first pitch. You certainly have enough slurry (if it's relatively clean) in the first jar and twice as much as you need in the third jar to ferment a rather big beer.

A couple of things:

1. That yeast doesn't look well-washed. Could just be the lighting, but typically the wort remaining on top would be much more pale.

THAT SAID:

2. Are you wanting to just pitch what you have there, or do you plan on making a starter? Every single one of those jars has enough yeast (yes, even the middle one) to give you great cell count with a starter.

3. In my experience, 2nd (or 3rd, or 4th, or 5th, etc.) generation yeast tends to be more active (unless you've stressed the **** out of it) than the first pitch. You certainly have enough slurry (if it's relatively clean) in the first jar and twice as much as you need in the third jar to ferment a rather big beer.

The yeast itself doesn't look well washed. I'm guessing the dark water/beer above is stained from a batch of stout. ;) My last batch of washed yeast came from a india black ale, and while my washed yeast is clean and creamy looking the liquid above is a dark brown.

Yes, the yeast came from a stout. I was planning on making a starter when I reused the yeast. Is the jar on the left too much yeast for a 1.050 beer?

Yes, the yeast came from a stout. I was planning on making a starter when I reused the yeast. Is the jar on the left too much yeast for a 1.050 beer?

Probably. Use this on the 'repitching from slurry' tab: Mrmalty.com

Put your OG and volume in there and use the date it went in the jars as your harvest date.

If the jar on the right is too much slurry, should I only use part of it for a starter and keep the rest in the jar for another starter?

Back