warm weather fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roymullins

Reaction score
I usually make cider once a yr. in the fall- I ferment in the garage with cool fall/winter temperatures...

Now I have a batch bubbling away in primary in the garage- it hasn't been very warm yet- high nearing 70- lows in the 50s (typical PNW "summer") however as we progress it will get warmer- is there any potential problems with fermentation- both primary but mostly secondary- with temps being up into the 80s? I didn't think about this when I threw together a batch last week... I was hoping the warm temps would simply speed up the fermentation process... not sure what the solution is if the warmer temps might cause problems- what do you summer cider-makers do? thanks for the info!

dont know much about cider making, cut could you use a swamp bath? or you can always bite the bullet and just buy a fermentation chamber. easily less then $100.

I've posted many times about the Cool-Brewing bag. I love it. It was 98 today and 78 (barely) in my house and I came home from work and my beer was at 59. That's lower than I want it but I had put ice packs in it at 6 am so 11 hours later, it was still very cool.
Here's a picture of my carboy in the bag and next to it, the pail in a swamp cooler. It has to have frequent ice changes but still stays at about 66.
The problem for me is brew day as I brew inside and it really warms the house so I don't do as much as when it's cooler. And, tap water Sunday was 81 so try and cool 5 gallons of wort down with that and a chiller.

With the Cool-Brewing bag, I really only need to swap out ice packs once a day but I still do it every 12 hours so that the temps stay pretty constant.

IMG_1083 (Large).jpg

IMG_1084 (Large).jpg

If your using an ale yeast, treat it like an ale fermentation.

Wine yeasts are a different animal. 80 is no problem for most, 90-100 is ok for some.

Back