warm=great taste... cold=terrible!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GotMOAB

Reaction score
Hey everyone, i brewed a pumpkin spice beer back in september and since it was my first time using grains.... i messed it up. i didnt take the grains out of the boil (honestly the recipe doesnt say to, but i know better now). well i didnt want to ditch the whole batch so i decided to let it ferment for a month, bottle it and see what happened. well i let this one sit for awhile cause i knew there was going to be some off flavor to it, but it really wasnt to bad at all. i let it sit for another couple of weeks and it actually started tasting real good, lots of spice flavor at the end. Mind you, all that i have tried up to this point were warm (60-70* basement temps) well i put a few in the fridge for awhile and got them cold and when i opened one back up, 1. it smelled terrible! like vomit 2. the taste had totally gone away, no more spice bite. i let it sit and warm back to room temp and the taste came back and the smell went away!!! whats the deal, please tell me i wont be stuck with warm beer until this is gone! haha any thoughts

i know their is nothing wrong with drinking warm beer, would just like to know why its doing this

Cold beer = less volatiles = less aroma.

I bet the nasty smell is always there, but is overpowered by the spices in the warm beer. You are probably stuck with drinking it warm, but as stated above, who cares? If anything you might be onto a hot new trend. Green beer, so eco-friendly that it taste bad if you try to refrigerate it.

if it tastes good, drink it.

pon_bizarre_foods%5B1%5D.JPG

??

Rodger is on the right track. I suspect if you warmed it up more it would taste even better. In case you need a translation from the Middle English, wassail is spiced beer served warm.

Back