Ward labs report in- help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter306

Reaction score
Hey there HBT'ers, just got my ward labs water report in and wanted some feedback. We have notoriously hard water at my house but we've had decent luck with untreated/adjusted water so far.

In an effort to get that extra improvement, I was curious If any of you water-science experts could suggest some baseline adjustments after seeing my numbers. Anything I might try and adjust to improve my APA's and IPA's?

I haven't had the chance to run through bru'n'water yet- full disclosure.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397951983.667901.jpg

Looks like you'll still be needing to dilute with RO or distilled water. For APA and IPA, you really want to see the SO4 up to at least 150- optimally in the 300 range. To do so with standard salts available, you'll also have to add either Magnesium or Calcium. I don't think you want your calcium to go too much higher than it is. Same with your magnesium. You'll also want to take your Chloride levels down for a good IPA/APA, so dilution sounds like the best route.

50/50 will probably do you, cutting your chloride down to 75 and your Mg and Ca down to more manageable levels to build up your sulfate.

Your gonna need a bunch of acid. Maybe 10ml of lactic per 5 gallon all-grain batch would be my guess. bru'n'water can get you an exact amount.

I would use a program like Bru'n Water, but at a quick glance I think I'd be using 100% distilled/RO for any pale ales/IPAs. Your alkalinity, hardness, and bicarbonates are all high.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Thank you for the input guys. I think the solution is probably using RO water at 50% or greater dilution depending on style. I've got a ED Reverse Osmosis kit on order from AirWaterIce.com that I will be installing to help us get some better numbers come brew day.

I do think I may still need to knock down the ph with some acid if I go the dilution route, but before it looked like I'd be using at minimum 8ml 88% lactic in a 10g batch. With the RO dilution, I should be able to cut back on that significantly, hopefully to avoid getting off flavors.

Any one else's input is valued in this case! If you're diluting with RO, let me know how it's working.

I dilute with RO, although my water isn't as full as sodium and bicarbonate as yours. I get great results. Today, I'm using 30% tap water and 70% RO water for my pale ale, adding some gypsum for sulfate and calcium. It's super easy, and bru'nwater or brewer's friend's spreadsheets get me there easily.

For some beers, I use 100% RO and for one other (my stout), I use 100% tap water. The rest are a mix.

All good advice above but I guess I will play devil's advocate here.... Keep in mind that a lot of beer styles have characteristics that were, in part, due to the water characteristics in the region from which the style originated. Having said that, your homebrew made with your tap water may not fit a particular style 100% with your given water chemistry but it is your homebrew, water and all. Perhaps 100 years from now there will be a new style all because you used unadulterated tap water. But if you are looking to brew for competition, then your best bet is to do what others have already suggested.

On a side note, I was hiking this past winter and drinking unfiltered water from a spring that was flowing from the fresh snow melt. It was some of the best tasting water I have ever had and have considered hiking back up there to capture some of it to brew a batch. My general rule of thumb, if the water taste good by itself it is good enough for me to brew with.

I bought a kit from Air Water Ice and used an extra John Guest Tee and valve to split off the refrigerator line and fill the brew water downstairs. Saves a lot of transporting. I get maybe 2 gallons from their pressure tank usually so either leaving the valve open and timing it, or mutiple draws emptying the tank become necessary to plan brew day 1-2 days out.

Even with %100 RO water some lactic acid is used. So something to consider if you go 50/50.

Back