Interpreting Ward Labs Water Test Results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewbieVet3

Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently received the results for my well water test from Ward Labs. Can anyone tell me how to interpret them for adjustment prior to brewing? Reading through some older posts, it looks like there might be some website or program we can use where we input the Ward Labs data and it will tell us what adjustments to make per brew style. If anyone can point me in that direction it would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Stand alone program like bruNwater
or as part of total package brewing software like brewers friend, beersmith, etc

post your results if you want some advice on how to tackle your particular water situation

I use the water tool in Beersmith. You start by entering your Ward Labs results to create your base water profile. Then when you make a recipe you select that base water profile and then select a target profile... the beer style you are making. Beersmith will then suggest which salts and additions you need to add to get your base water to match the target. I've not used Brunwater but I would assume it works much the same.

Mash Made Easy (spreadsheet)
Bru'n Water (spreadsheet)
EZWater (spreadsheet)
Brewers Friend

The spreadsheets obviously require MS Excel though might also work with the Open Office version.

Each models the mash slightly different but they should all enable you to enter your water profile and grist and make adjustments from there.

Posting your Ward Labs results will certainly yield more help.

Latest posts

Back