Want to try new brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noobjf

Reaction score
Im very new to this and have been using the beer kits from listermanns now I want to start trying to make "the best beer" any tips anyone?

There is no single "best beer". What kind of beers do you like? What kind of beers have you brewed already?

Answer a few qualifying questions and we can give you some good advice on what to try next.

What type of commercial craft beers do you like?

What styles of beers have you tried brewing? How did they turn out?

I am assuming you are doing extract only?

Do those kits you’ve done come with steeping grains?

Are you willing to attempt to get the ingredients together from a recipe? There are many tasty (and award winning) recipes on here.

My final question may be the most important depending on your answers to the rest – HOW ARE YOU CONTROLLING FERMENTATION TEMPERATURES?

Best beer is what every beer maker strives to accomplish. I love every beer there is except for flavored beers. I want to do a beer that is similar to moose drool which is a brown ale from Montana.

Best beer is what every beer maker strives to accomplish. I love every beer there is except for flavored beers. I want to do a beer that is similar to moose drool which is a brown ale from Montana.

Then make Moose Drool, or something like it. Who is judging your "best beer?" What if some like it and others don't? Is it still the best beer?

kpr121 said:
Answer a few qualifying questions and we can give you some good advice on what to try next.

What type of commercial craft beers do you like?

What styles of beers have you tried brewing? How did they turn out?

I am assuming you are doing extract only?

Do those kits you’ve done come with steeping grains?

Are you willing to attempt to get the ingredients together from a recipe? There are many tasty (and award winning) recipes on here.

My final question may be the most important depending on your answers to the rest – HOW ARE YOU CONTROLLING FERMENTATION TEMPERATURES?

A lot of snake river brewery beers, a lot of new belgiums stuff especially the ranger, moose drool from Montana, foot hills India brown ale and sexual chocolate. Really anything that has a good balance and isn't bud light miller light etc.

So far some iPas and some brown ales

I am doing only extract only as f now but do want to dabble into some all grain

Yes the kits I've used have steeping grains

I do want to get the ingredients together from a recipe

I have a water heater room that has a 2 foot drop that keeps at a constant 65 degrees it's in the middle of the house

I suggest you check out the extensive recipe database on this site, there are tons of great ones broken out by category.

As far as "best beer" there really is no such thing, so just start making beer as best as you can. That won't come from a recipe, it will come from practice.

dbreienrk1 said:
Then make Moose Drool, or something like it. Who is judging your "best beer?" What if some like it and others don't? Is it still the best beer?

Best beer is the best if the person who brewed it thinks it's the best.

rifraf said:
I suggest you check out the extensive recipe database on this site, there are tons of great ones broken out by category.

As far as "best beer" there really is no such thing, so just start making beer as best as you can. That won't come from a recipe, it will come from practice.

Thanks... Yea I realized that from you guys there isn't a best beer. I just assumed there was. Thanks for the info

If you like Moose Drool, thry this from Northern Brewer:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/...act-ale-kits/caribou-slobber-extract-kit.html
If you haven't used liquid yeast try that option, the Wyeast 1332

I'm a fan of Moose Drool also, I really like Big Sky, their Summer Honey is my wife's favorite.

Northern charges the same shipping ($7.99) whether you order one kit or ten, so pick out a few and go for it....try some new styles

Back