Want to start my first all-grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've just brewed my first two extract brews which turned out drinakble, and I'm looking to switch to all-grain for the price reduction and not having to rely on extracts.

My question is, can I do a mini-mash with 2-3 pounds of grains, strain, and repeat four times or so, thus acccumulating between 8-12 pounds of grains for mashing? My problem is that I don't have a proper mash-tun and am trying to keep it as simple as possible. Is this a viable alternative?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

That seems like the opposite of simple. A lot of people like the BIAB method, I've never done that though

no question, BIAB.......best way ever......I do it for small batches instead of dirtying up the mash tun.......best way to go!!

I haven't yet done a true mash, but I think if you did 4 separate mashes in a row, you'd be looking at a loooooong brew day.

What I'm planning on doing (and I'm in the same boat as you, I've done 2 extract brews and want to move forward) is I am starting with a "partial mash." You'll be able to do this on the stove top with no additional equipment except a mesh grain bag.

If this goes well for me, I was thinking of doing 2-3 gallon mini-mashes of all grain. The only difference is, I wouldn't want to try doing a bunch in a row. I'd just do one brew day for one mini-mash, then maybe the week after do a new one (a different beer altogether).

Or, as someone above suggested, if you have the proper sized pots, you could do a stovetop BIAB full batch.

Latest posts

Back