Want (need?) Amarillo or Simcoe!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brulosopher

Reaction score
I really want some Amarillo and/or Simcoe hops right now, but HopsDirect is all out. If anyone out there has a bunch on hand and can vacuum pack them, I'd love to do an even trade. I've a pound each of Perle (Gr), Magnum, Nugget, Galena, and Fuggle (domestic). Let me know!

jammin said:
Freshhops.com has both in stock.

Word. Thanks!

EDIT: what?!? I paid about $0.75/oz bulk at HopsDirect... Freshops wants $2.30/oz for Simcoe... no thanks! Offer still stands.

BrightSpotBrewing said:
Word. Thanks!

EDIT: what?!? I paid about $0.75/oz bulk at HopsDirect... Freshops wants $2.30/oz for Simcoe... no thanks! Offer still stands.

Dude, Simcoe and Amarillo cost more than the other hops what do you expect? They also have MUCH higher demand than the other stuff, my local LHBS, which is super well stocked and has every hop variety did not get ANY Simcoe or Citra this year. They still have Amarillo at the standard $2/oz though.

I doubt anyone will trade you ounce for ounce, maybe offer a 2:1 or 3:1 trade in their favor and someone will hook you up.

tesilential said:
Dude, Simcoe and Amarillo cost more than the other hops what do you expect? They also have MUCH higher demand than the other stuff, my local LHBS, which is super well stocked and has every hop variety did not get ANY Simcoe or Citra this year. They still have Amarillo at the standard $2/oz though.

I doubt anyone will trade you ounce for ounce, maybe offer a 2:1 or 3:1 trade in their favor and someone will hook you up.

You speak factually, friend. I will heed your noble advice:

I'll trade 12 oz of the following hops (mix and match if you please) for 6 oz of Amarillo and/or Simcoe:

Galena
Fuggles
Magnum
Perle
Nugget

Any takers??

I believe farmhousebrewingsupply.com is going to get more of these varieties in soon. I had to wait and check the site daily. The 1st wave of hops were gone in an hour.

Your choices are: wait for FHBS, order from Fresh Hops or pay the LHBS prices which are normally ridiculous. There is a very small amount of these hops available and the demand is unreal.

I do wish you well in your trade scenario but it does not seem logical to pay for shipping twice to trade hop varieties. Not saying someone here won't do it, it just defeats the idea of bulk buying to save money... If I had extra hops and extra cash I would help you out with some unfortunately this is not the case...

You can always get Falconer's Flight, it is a blend of the 2.

Word. Thanks!

i paid about $1.90/oz with shipping for a pound of hops. i got 4 different kinds. it's still cheaper than my LHBS which has mediocre quality. i'm happy to buy for less with (hopefully) better quality and the selection i want.

good luck in your search.

Wow. I didn't realize they were getting so rare! I just brewed a IIPA with Amarillo and Simcoe. Not sure I want to part with the remainders though.

Wow. I didn't realize they were getting so rare! I just brewed a IIPA with Amarillo and Simcoe. Not sure I want to part with the remainders though.

Not so much rare as much as artificial demand. Those hops are grown in Texas and on specific ranches that hold the patents on them. Meaning there are only so many acres to grow them on. Now mix in the the growing number of breweries with the demand for hoppy IPAs at record highs and you start to see the issue.

Not so much rare as much as artificial demand. Those hops are grown in Texas and on specific ranches that hold the patents on them.

uh......what? Simcoe and Amarillo are not exclusively, or even mostly grown in Texas. I have no idea where you got that info from. I don't believe there are any hop farmers in Texas, although I could be wrong.

Simcoe and Amarillo come from Oregon and Washington. Just like all the other US hops. Simcoe and Amarillo are both proprietary hops, and yes, only certain ranches can grow them, but those raches are most certainly not in Texas.

uh......what? Simcoe and Amarillo are not exclusively, or even mostly grown in Texas. I have no idea where you got that info from. I don't believe there are any hop farmers in Texas, although I could be wrong.

Simcoe and Amarillo come from Oregon and Washington. Just like all the other US hops. Simcoe and Amarillo are both proprietary hops, and yes, only certain ranches can grow them, but those raches are most certainly not in Texas.

Thanks for correcting me then. I have no clue where or why I thought they were in Texas. Sometimes the old thinker gets mixed up...lol.

...I have no clue where or why I thought they were in Texas...

Maybe this is why:

texasCities.JPG

Here's the lowdown on propriety hops, at least as I understand it. Both the good and the bad.

The USDA used to have a fairly extensive hop breeding program that produced some of the classic craft brewing hops we know: Cascade, Willamette, Chinook, etc.

I haven't looked into why most of the interesting Hop varieties have been coming from private farms in the past 15 years; it could simply be because they are spending more money on hop breeding and the USDA has cut back, I'm not sure.... But mostly all the popular aroma hops that have been released in recent years have been from private farms.

These hop farmers work fairly hard on breeding new and interesting hop varieties. The Hop Brewing Company (joint venture of the select botanicals group (yakima chief ranches), and someone else) claim they cross over 50 cultivars per year, and screen ten's of thousands of hop genotypes. My understanding is that out of hundreds and hundreds of potential hop varieties only a handful even get the potential to be released. They say it takes something like 6-10 years for a new hop to come to market.

So after a considerable about of work, these farmers want that their new hop variety to be exclusively theirs, hence the patents on hops.

The good side of this is, farmers are working very hard to produce new and exciting aroma hops because if they create a great hop, and the demand is strong, and they have exclusive rights.

The down side is, the farms that hold the patents on these hops can control which farmers can grow their variety, and which can't. There are a BOAT LOAD of farmers growing our favorite proprietary hops (simcoe, amarillo, citra, warrior, etc), but obviously not as many as the current market demand dictates. And because of that, spot prices are way up.

Unfortunately it's just going to be the name of the game for awhile with the new hop breeds. Citra is a great example. The Hop farmers are reluctant to tear up acres of their current hops to plant a new variety where the demand is unknown. Citra hits the scene around 2008, and there was decent demand for it. Once Sierra Nevada used it in their Torpedo, and enough brewers got to try it, demand exploded. Because we're dealing with an agricultural product, and one where the plant takes a couple years to mature, there is a couple year lag before supply can catch up to demand. Combine that with a booming craft beer market where IPAs and hop-forward beers are popular, and you can see why these hops are hard to get a hold of.

There definitely isn't a hop shortage. All of the old, standby hops are easy to get a hold of, it's just hard to get Amarillo, Simcoe, and Citra at the moment. HopUnion realizes that, and it's one of the reasons they are producing new hop blends specially targeted at IPAs to help reduce the demand for the hard-to-get proprietary hops. And in a couple years, these hops will probably be easier to get our hands on, just as another new 'hot' hop hits the market.

I really want some Amarillo and/or Simcoe hops right now, but HopsDirect is all out. If anyone out there has a bunch on hand and can vacuum pack them, I'd love to do an even trade. I've a pound each of Perle (Gr), Magnum, Nugget, Galena, and Fuggle (domestic). Let me know!

First off I know this is an old post!! I just think it's funny that someone would be willing to trade Simcoe/Amarilo pound for pound for Magnum (or any of those other hops). "Hey...anyone want to do an even trade for some Springsteen tixs?? I have Cyndi Lauper, Meatloaf, and Marie Osmond tixs!! Let's trade!

Saw this thread and wanted to mention I just brewed an IPA with a bittering charge of Columbus at 60 min and 4oz of Simcoe at 2 min. Tasted the gravity sample yesterday and it is amazing! Got a huge dry hop of mostly Simcoe with some Amarillo tossed in going in next weekend. Can't wait to try the finished product! I didn't think I'd get any Simcoe or Amarillo this year, but my wife came through for Christmas.

Phunhog said:
First off I know this is an old post!! I just think it's funny that someone would be willing to trade Simcoe/Amarilo pound for pound for Magnum (or any of those other hops). "Hey...anyone want to do an even trade for some Springsteen tixs?? I have Cyndi Lauper, Meatloaf, and Marie Osmond tixs!! Let's trade!

Over a year old, in fact. I thought it'd be funny ;)

Word. Thanks!

you never paid that price for simcoe and amarillo ever lol

You're right. Haha. It was $1.75/oz for the Simcoe.

Apparently if your a brewery and contract it you can get it much cheaper. Last year Sam Adams was selling off their 2011 overstock of simcoe before the new simcoe came in. They were selling it at cost. $6 a pound!

Back