Star San in my fermentation bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jrm1443

Reaction score
So I took a couple years off from home brewing and just started up again. After I brewed an extract kit I put it in an ice bath to cool down to 100°. I then put it in my fermentation bucket and added about 3 gallons of water that I had in Individual gallons in the refrigerator. Unfortunately, I have been using one of the gallons to store my star san mixture in. As soon as I started pouring it into the wort I could see that it was somewhat cloudy and I stopped pouring immediately. My question is, have I ruined the whole batch of beer?

Yeah you will be fine. The owner of 5 star says that once it goes over a certain pH level (2ph I think) it turns in to a nutrient for bacteria etc. It's also made of food grade ingredients that are found in food etc. I believe he said he has even drink it on occasion to prove its safety...

You've maybe lowered the PH of the beer by maybe a smidge. That is really all.

Back