Wanna keg my beer but my hands smell like gas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennie1986

Reaction score
I work on cars for a living and today I had to install a fuel pump on my PV. I have never had my need to brew/bottle/keg ect. be interrupted by my job but my hands smell like gas and I defiantly don't want beer to come in contact with gas at all. Guess ill have to keep this in mind and schedule my brew related activities better in the future.

Any other brewers here that have had this type of issue before?

No offense, but you work with cars for a living and haven't figured out which soaps get gas smells off your hands yet?

I took one semester of auto shop 20 years ago and I sucked as a wrench turner, but I figured out GoJo by week 2 of the course.

I work on cars to and if you have dry hands, your hands will absorb the smell of gas and oils. I use nitrile gloves if I have an off smell on my hands. I also wear gloves when working on cars, took a long time to get used to but was required by my old boss because he required us to drive the cars in and out of the shop so no grease all over the customers steering wheel.

GoJo is the best hand cleaner I've ever used.

gojo_halfgallon.jpg

BigJack said:
No offense, but you work with cars for a living and haven't figured out which soaps get gas smells off your hands yet?

I took one semester of auto shop 20 years ago and I sucked as a wrench turner, but I figured out GoJo by week 2 of the course.

I have tried a lot of different soaps and I can't really smell anything but my wife says I stink still lol!

72Chevelle said:
I work on cars to and if you have dry hands, your hands will absorb the smell of gas and oils. I use nitrile gloves if I have an off smell on my hands. I also wear gloves when working on cars, took a long time to get used to but was required by my old boss because he required us to drive the cars in and out of the shop so no grease all over the customers steering wheel.

I use nitriles at work too but I'm to cheap to stock them at home but I guess I'll have to consider it a brewing investment.

passedpawn said:
GoJo is the best hand cleaner I've ever used.

I use One Punch from Kimble Midwest at work that I find to be far superior to gojo. You can use a nickel size portion to clean with little effort. Drys the heck out of your hands though. I use generic gojo at home cause once again I'm cheap.

Still can smell gas after washing with one punch though.

Best grease remover ever:
xYbyKSe.jpg

Cheap stuff too (A couple bucks a walmart)
Its not a pumice cleaner so it doesn't leave your hands raw. I've used it all gojo, fast orange, etc. This stuff even took dried wood varnish off. I still have no idea how it works.

We had that in auto shop back in the mid-70's. Goop is def better. & get some of those blue plastic gloves in the box at walmart. I like to wear those to keep my hands from betraying my activities.

I do not really touch my beer when I keg. I pull the racking cane assembly out of the sanitizer, pop it on the carboy, hook up the disconnect to the keg, and turn the CO2 valve. Once everything is moved over I hook up the gas to the keg and let it sit. Hose out the carboy and put in some PBW and I am done.

Brewing gloves would work as well and are just generally a good thing to have on hand. You will be glad you have them that first time a fitting comes off your pickup tube in the Mashtun or HLT.

Stainless steel rub it on your hands like a bar of soap with citris gojo it will work 80% better at the least, works for fish and onion as well. I made one up like a bar of soap. Just don't drop in a Porcelain lined sink swmbo gets pissed at chips in her sink :D

Best grease remover ever:
xYbyKSe.jpg

Cheap stuff too (A couple bucks a walmart)
Its not a pumice cleaner so it doesn't leave your hands raw. I've used it all gojo, fast orange, etc. This stuff even took dried wood varnish off. I still have no idea how it works.

Oh, yeah, Goop works well too.

When I play the the motorcycle or boat engine, I try to remember to use had cream first. Lube up the hands well and any oil after that won't get absorbed into your skin so deeply. Then of course you will need to wear work gloves, I like the leather palmed ones from harbor freight, because soft hands just lead to deep cuts!

Latest posts

Back