Wall surface advice for my electric brewery?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SparklyFarmBrewing

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm finally ready to put together my basement electric brewery and I'm starting with the walls. I have a young daughter and another on the way so I don't want to do anything time consuming like tile, I just want to throw up a wipeable water resistant surface. I am right now thinking just regular drywall and a waterproof paint? Is there anything wrong with that?
Any of you guys have a good quick and dirty solution?
Here's a picture of the area that is soon to be my Sparkly Farm Brewery.
-Thanks!

Brewery.jpg

Mind if I ask how you installed it? The manufacturer recommends troweling on cement. I was thinking of just using a latex based adhesive in a caulk gun.

Mark

Second for FRP panels. I have built 2 commercial kitchens with it and its awesome stuff you do trowel on the mastic but it goes pretty quick. I found a jigsaw is your best friend cutting out for outlets but it will tear through your blades.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

My brew space is a finished room 6' x 12'....I'm guessing frp panels would be pretty expensive so I was thinking of just hanging a durable tarp behind my e-rig and using a pond liner on the floor with a frame around the edges to keep spillage from running into the walls.....but I also don't want my brewery looking like a scene in Dexter.... You could be on to something with the paint idea. Something water/stain resistant like they are marketing for kids room walls?

My brew space is a finished room 6' x 12'....I'm guessing frp panels would be pretty expensive so I was thinking of just hanging a durable tarp behind my e-rig and using a pond liner on the floor with a frame around the edges to keep spillage from running into the walls.....but I also don't want my brewery looking like a scene in Dexter.... You could be on to something with the paint idea. Something water/stain resistant like they are marketing for kids room walls?

You probably don't have to do the entire room, just the wall where your rig is backed up against and maybe the side wall if it sits towards a corner.

They also sell some melamine coated hardboard that is cheaper, if you can keep liquid from getting under/behind it it would probably work.

Go to Lowes or Home depot or someplace similar and see if they have any galvanized roof panels. Goes up with some screws, waterproof, no paint. If you don't like the shiney metal, you can paint it.

You probably don't have to do the entire room, just the wall where your rig is backed up against and maybe the side wall if it sits towards a corner.

They also sell some melamine coated hardboard that is cheaper, if you can keep liquid from getting under/behind it it would probably work.

Yeah, I only did 3 walls because I have a big sink on one of them. I just have to remember I can't hose that one down. :drunk:

You can also do them sideways so it's just 4ft from floor.

I am right now thinking just regular drywall and a waterproof paint? Is there anything wrong with that?
No. The assumption is that you're venting properly however.

Treat your brewery like a regular kitchen (or bathroom), which means you can use regular drywall with semigloss (or higher gloss) paint.

There's no need for green board.

Use tile if you want it to look better.

If you feel you need something more on the walls because you splash a lot, work on not splashing a lot. ;)

If you want hose down conditions then you definitely need more, but I would still work on getting your process down so that you don't have to hose down as much. ;)

Proper venting (just like any kitchen or bathroom) is important. You don't want to fill the room with steam.

Simple semigloss paint will take the occasional splash or drips.

Good luck!

Kal

Back