Wait ....I thought beards were mandatory!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJL

Reaction score
I was flipping through the latest issue of Zymurgy and saw something really disappointing. I noticed a disturbing lack of beards amongst the NHC winners. I mean the brewer of the year's face is smooth as a baby's butt. This is a real blow to my confidence. I figured that the reason I hadn't won any awards was because my beard hadn't filled in yet. (Sigh....)

I mean I just figured that once I had about a 4 inch beard hanging off my chin, it would unlock the special magic inside of my smack packs. And I would begin brewing sweet, irresistable elixirs that would win me respect and admiration of brewers everywhere.

I made a beer while having this beard. I got a second place in the light hybrid category at a local comp. Only comp I've entered. I trimmed the beard down a month after brewing it and made some subpar beer 2 batches in a row. Now the length is coming back and the beer is getting back on track.

image-3727510456.jpg

tonyc318 said:
I made a beer while having this beard. I got a second place in the light hybrid category at a local comp. Only comp I've entered. I trimmed the beard down a month after brewing it and made some subpar beer 2 batches in a row. Now the length is coming back and the beer is getting back on track.

I only wish I could grow a cool beard like that!

Rockn_M said:
I only wish I could grow a cool beard like that!

I'm growing mine back out. It was irresponsible of me to cut that beard down. There are too many people that struggle to grow an epic beard.

Im growing my beard out. Its nice and red. Im a bar tender and today at work a mommy with small kids looked at me and said, there's something to trust about a man with a beard.

tonyc318 said:
I'm growing mine back out. It was irresponsible of me to cut that beard down. There are too many people that struggle to grow an epic beard.

Thanks for thinking of the people like me. Very thoughtful.

I was flipping through the latest issue of Zymurgy and saw something really disappointing. I noticed a disturbing lack of beards amongst the NHC winners. I mean the brewer of the year's face is smooth as a baby's butt. This is a real blow to my confidence. I figured that the reason I hadn't won any awards was because my beard hadn't filled in yet. (Sigh....)

What?!? Mind=blown.:drunk:

Next thing you're going to tell me is that even though I don't smoke I can still be a good mechanic. And we all know that's just downright laughable.....

grasshopperfirestarter said:
Im growing my beard out. Its nice and red. Im a bar tender and today at work a mommy with small kids looked at me and said, there's something to trust about a man with a beard.

There may be some truth to that if its a well kept beard. It would mean you have pride in yourself and your appearance. You pull the old psych ward hasn't shaved for a year guy look, and it all goes the other way.

See your bet and raise you the Hitler moustache!

That's a tough one to bring back, even if you try to pass it off as a Chaplin.

I'm bringing back full length sideburns myself.

There must be some exceptions for the ladies and people that have to shave for work-they may have an epic inner beard.

Like a whole beard of in grown hairs? That would hurt.

Aside from the fact that the type of mother to bring small kids into a bar is usually not one to take life lessons from. That is a wonderful thing to hear and restores some of my faith in humanity. I do think though, that she might have been fishing for a new step-dad for the children.

"Now, children. What do you say when you meet a nice man?"
"Are you my daddy?"

Aside from the fact that the type of mother to bring small kids into a bar is usually not one to take life lessons from. That is a wonderful thing to hear and restores some of my faith in humanity. I do think though, that she might have been fishing for a new step-dad for the children.

"Now, children. What do you say when you meet a nice man?"
"Are you my daddy?"

This is assuming he works in a bar, and one of such a type as you describe as opposed to an eating establishment that happens to have a bar, such as Applebee's. We could also assume he works at Bearden Brewery as listed in his signature, which would be my first guess. But on that note, most brewpubs that I have been to, I would not hesitate to bring my children into, as they are in my opinion, of a higher class establishment than one to which you imply.

Point being, I think you made an unfair assumption. I get the joke, and I think it's kinda funny. But we should all know better than to think that anyplace with a bar attracts nothing but heathens and sinners.

This is assuming he works in a bar, and one of such a type as you describe as opposed to an eating establishment that happens to have a bar, such as Applebee's. We could also assume he works at Bearden Brewery as listed in his signature, which would be my first guess. But on that note, most brewpubs that I have been to, I would not hesitate to bring my children into, as they are in my opinion, of a higher class establishment than one to which you imply.

Point being, I think you made an unfair assumption. I get the joke, and I think it's kinda funny. But we should all know better than to think that anyplace with a bar attracts nothing but heathens and sinners.

Seeing how early in the day he posted you probably have a point. My apologies grasshopper if I offended. And of course bars don't only attract the heathens. When I read it though I remember the day while at a strip club for 'lunch', saw some people bring what looked like a 4 and 6 year old in for food and what I would expect was to visit mom at work. Then I thought of the movie quote and couldn't help myself. This is Drunken Mumblings after all...

All is good! Where I work does bring in the worse of the worse! JK... I read this earlier today when I was actually at that establishment, (you know you're a homebrewer when), where I bartend, having dinner with my 2 1/2 year old daughter on my day off. It's a family restaurant located on the world famous Santa Monica Pier with surf boards all over the ceiling. That day there were two moms and four small children having lunch, and as I was making a drink for a customer, I noticed that one of the kids knocked her head on the table and I offered them a bag of ice; and that's when she said that.

Back