VT style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jberrouard

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am trying to brew a beer that has a similar taste to heady topper, sip of sunshine, or any of tree house brewing's IPAs. All 3 have a very similar taste to them that I never taste in any other IPAs.

I usually shoot for 1.075-1.080 and use a malt bill of 90% american 2 row and 10% wheat. I also usually put 1lb of dextrose in the boil.

I have fermented using 001 and us-05. I always oxygenate and use yeast nutrient. I start ferentation around 64-66 and let rise to 68-70.

I have used lost of different hops but I will usually throw in an oz of cascade at the beginning of the boil and put about 8 oz in the whirlpool and let sit for about 45min. I use simcoe, cascade, amarillo, columbus, and chinook in the whirlpool. I dry hop with 5 oz usually 3oz of simcoe and 2 of columbus.

I recently started treating my water, I live in Massachusetts and the water doesnt have much of anything in it. I add gypsum to get the sulfate up to about 200ppm and lower mash PH.

My finished beer always turns out as a decent IPA but never has the distint taste of the beers above, and I do not actually know what is contributing to the taste whether it is hops, malt, or yeast.

A few things I plan on trying is I bought some DIPA yeast from omega labs which is suppose to be conan. I also do not think my beers finish dry enough so that is something I need to figure out too, my beer usually finishes around 1.016.

I am going to throw the hops in the kettle for whirlpool instead of a hop bag, i am wondering if the hops are too condensed and are not getting enough surface contact.

I would also like to try brewing with pearl or english two row, I have heard that those breweries use those malts, maybe even add carapils.

The only other thing I can think of is I always dry hop with the yeast in the carboy so I will try racking to a secondary, but I think that will help more with aroma not taste.

I would suggest getting the specific yeast.

Can make a big difference IMO, as well as temp control. I also think they move the hops about a bit during dry hop, and also excess yeast in the beer will reduce dry hopping effects, so perhaps cold crash prior to dh. Keep us posted.
Thanks.

I personally get better results dry hopping in a secondary. I use a muslin bag and weigh it down. When I add it, it would hit the trub in the primary and stir up the yeast and trub. Secondary is cleaner and allows the hops to shine.

Your plan looks solid. No idea how your not getting a supper hoppy IPA. You should be really close. How long from grain to glass? How long do you dry hop? Kegging or bottle? What is your FG?

Your process sounds fine. I have done multiple attempts at this and my most recent attempt is definitely along the lines of the beers you're talking about. My first thought after looking at your recipe is that you may want to try a different set of hops. You listed a bunch of traditional West Coast-style hops. I love those hops, especially Columbus and Centennial, but they are much more pine/citrus in character. The beers you listed have a much more tropical fruit juiciness. Sip of Sunshine/Double Sunshine are supposedly made with all Citra hops used late in the boil/dry hop. I think if you make that one change, and instead of using West Coast-style hops use something like Citra, Galaxy, Mosaic, or any other hop that has descriptors like "tropical" or "passion fruit", you'll get closer to the flavors you want.

As for your FG, I'm surprised that with a pound of dextrose your beer is finishing around 1.016. My only suggestion is to mash a lot lower and get rid of any crystal malt or dextrine malt. I aim for 148 F as my mash temp, and hold for 90 minutes to get a more fermentable wort. Hope this helps in some way. What city are you in? I'm in Medford.

happened upon this article last week, says its the yeast that contributes the most to heady

"Stan's article was about how The Alchemist yeast strain, VPB1188 (yup, originally from Vermont Pub & Brewery), nicknamed "Conan," interacts with hops to produce their house flavor profile. In the article, John Kimmich, "the mastermind behind...Heady Topper," claims that the beer tastes the way it does less so because of the hop blend that they use, but more so because of his yeast strain. Kimmich claimed that if he took the same recipe and same hop blend but substituted a different yeast strain, he could push Heady Topper more towards a "San Diego IPA" flavor profile (i.e. West Coast-style)."

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/...mont-needs-credit-new-ipa-style-beer/9092721/

I think the Pearl malt is fairly important also. I can't put my finger on it, but that malt is different from domestic 2-row. I never get a distinct "bready" or "cracker" characteristic but there is something it adds. I've only had Lawson's once so can't say that they use pearl, but I've had a couple of the alchemist IPA/IIPA and think the grain bill is pretty similar in all of them, mostly Pearl, a decent chunk of wheat, and a little bit of a very low lov crystal (like carahell or something else in the ~10 love range)

here's a link to an experiment brewing an IPA using Vermont Ale vs San Diego Super: http://brulosophy.com/2015/02/02/hippie-heaven-vs-surfer-sanctuary-exbeeriment-results/

His results show a significant difference in outcome between the two strains, with Heady's Vermont Ale winning the taste test hands down.

That was an interesting article, it also reminded that there are many different yeast manufacturers that offer what they consider as conan. I bought Omega labs, there is the yeast bay, ECY 29, and giga yeast.

I just ordered some from the yeast bay as well so if I get it before next weekend and can make a starter I would like to split the batch and brew one with the Omega and one with the yeast bay.

Back