VR8200A Wiring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan_PA

Reaction score
Clearly I am doing something wrong. I am trying to finish a build in time to brew this weekend. I have 99% of everything done, and all that is left is troublshooting the HLT/HEX burner switch. I currently have it where my PID feeds into a 24VAC transformer that then feeds the VR8200A directly. I have 3 terminals on the VR8200A, 2 on the side labeled TH and TR, then one on the fromt labeled TH/TR.

For the 24 VAC transformer I have the JCI y66t12-0 75va. Per the wiring diagram here, I have the common from the PID out to the whit, the load from the PID out to the black, and the 24 VAC lines out hooked to the brown and orange.

I get the pilot going, turn the switch from Pilot to On, and nothing.

I have tried every configuration I can think of to get the TH and TR wires to fire and am at a total loss. Any help?

Are you high or low pressure?

Also, I have asked the same question many times about TH and TR and no one can give a definitive answer even though there are many many folks here have wired it. I am at a loss as well.

Also, how is your thermocouple, does it have direct fire on it?

Low pressure. I know you have asked a few times since I searched like crazy before asking, and I noticed how your questions went unanswered. I am hoping that a dedicated thread, as opposed to being buried in a build thread, will get the right replies. If I figure it out on my own, I will respond here.

That, or photos of my wife's cans. I will snap some photos later. TO get through brewday tomorrow, I will be switching the wiring from controlling the burner with the PID to controlling my pump. This will allow me to get a beer done, but I will figure out this other aspect.

Clearly I am doing something wrong. I am trying to finish a build in time to brew this weekend. I have 99% of everything done, and all that is left is troublshooting the HLT/HEX burner switch. I currently have it where my PID feeds into a 24VAC transformer that then feeds the VR8200A directly. I have 3 terminals on the VR8200A, 2 on the side labeled TH and TR, then one on the fromt labeled TH/TR.

For the 24 VAC transformer I have the JCI y66t12-0 75va. Per the wiring diagram here, I have the common from the PID out to the whit, the load from the PID out to the black, and the 24 VAC lines out hooked to the brown and orange.

I get the pilot going, turn the switch from Pilot to On, and nothing.

I have tried every configuration I can think of to get the TH and TR wires to fire and am at a total loss. Any help?

TH/TR as shown on the top are called convenience terminals as a tie point only.

100_5059-1.jpg

Th and TR is the valve coil controlled by your Controller.
Your controller supplies the 24V Ac to one of the terminals and the other terminal goes to the transformer common.

Edit: just looked at your X-former.
1. Connect the x-former brown wire to Tr
2. Connect the orange wire to your controller relay com terminal.
3. Connect a wire to the NO controller relay terminal and to the TH gas valve terminal.
Cheers,
ClaudiusB

You are my hero sir! It lives!!! IT LIVES!!!!!

I have some tuning to take up, but Claudius' direction was the fix for me!

Latest posts

Back