Voss kveik in garage, no temp control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashun

Reaction score
just wondering if anyone has used this with fluctuating temps. My garage goes from 78 in the morning to about 85 in the afternoon. Just wondering if this is ok, or will I get off flavors. Thanks.

I don't know what my temp ranges have been exactly, but I'd say 1) your high and low are still within the recommended range, 2) the fermentation will warm it up even more and 3) the larger your batch, the more the mass of the water should keep the temp stable. I'd say you should be fine.

Pitch it at 37c (only one tablespoon slurry for five gallons), wrap the fermenter into a blanket, it will be done before the temperature starts fluctuating much. Worked for me!

I have some kveik hornindal and I was planning on just sticking it in the garage too. Temps here in Virginia are about the same as yours during the summer. I figured the heat generated by the yeast coupled with high ambient temps would be enough but you could wrap it if you're worried. This yeast seems super robust and I haven't seen any complaints about off-flavors so I think we'll be alright.

Dude you will be fine. I just fermented in the same condition with Voss by imperial yeast Loki. I pitched at 95 and put my Carhart jacket around it. Same exact temp swing as my garage right now and I completely fermented in 36 hours from 1.052-1.12

My Voss Kviek has hit 102° and never given off flavors... make sure you have headspace and a blowoff tube though. Fermentation will be done in 36 hours.

I did a NEIPA style on Thursday 7/4 with Omega Hothead Kveik. Pitched at 80 degrees and into my garage with an open door where it's been between 75-85. Took off within 12 hours. Dryhop #1 in 24 hours instead of my usual 3 days. Visible signs of fermentation gone within 48 hours. SG 1.010 at 72 hours which is when I did dryhop #2. SG sample tasted pretty good.

Awesome! Thanks for the info y'all. So into the garage it will go. I'm looking forward to seeing how this yeast works. Also seeing if I can get any of those citrusy esters out of it.

I've been using hothead all summer fermenting around 90 here in Atlanta. I swear I'm not going back to my other yeast strains until October or November. Lol

Sampling my first use of kveik. I used extra wort from a kolsch, let it sit in a 80-90 degree garage, bottled a week later (primed with sugar), then let it sit in my kitchen. The first few bottles were okay but not super clean, found this one a week ago (about 2 months after brewing), cleaner then the actual kolsch. I may brew a full batch of kolsch with just this yeast to have it ready fast.

Latest posts

Back