Voss kveik and NEIPA. When to soft crash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panderson1

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So my NEIPA was dry hopped mid-late fermentation. And VOSS works really fast. Been dry hopped about 48 hours at 85F. When is best to soft crash down to say 55F??

Also do i gradually drop it to 55F or just set the temp and let it crash? A little worried about diacetyl and my taste buds aren't good at tasting it.

Admittedly, I’ve only used kveik a few times so I might not be the expert to consult. I’ve never picked up diacetyl in my very quick fermented kveik’s. So, if me, I wouldn’t be too worried. Just crash it when you’re satisfied it’s done or very close to done fermenting.

The thing I’d be more concerned with has already happened. Dry hopping that warm might give you hop flavors you aren’t looking for. But maybe it won’t. If your hop aroma and flavor is muted, vegetal and a little off, it might be worth tweaking your dry hop temps and brewing again to see what affect that had.

Agree with @Kickass. 85F for DHing is way too hot. The consensus around here has been to soft crash the yeast out before DHing. 50F or so for 24-48 hours after primary is done should drop the yeast out. Then DH for 24-48 hours and package.

Agree with @Kickass. 85F for DHing is way too hot. The consensus around here has been to soft crash the yeast out before DHing. 50F or so for 24-48 hours after primary is done should drop the yeast out. Then DH for 24-48 hours and package.

In this case i think i should have stuck to my OG plan and keg hopped 4 oz in each keg. Oh well.

I did a similar pale ale with Voss 3 weeks ago and added 6oz to 10 gal and the hops/beer tasted great before kegging. This was dry hopped same temperature. I guess I'll know for sure when that beer is served carbonated......

Thanks for the input

In this case i think i should have stuck to my OG plan and keg hopped 4 oz in each keg. Oh well.

I did a similar pale ale with Voss 3 weeks ago and added 6oz to 10 gal and the hops/beer tasted great before kegging. This was dry hopped same temperature. I guess I'll know for sure when that beer is served carbonated......

Thanks for the input
Hope it works out for you! All I know is my beer has definitely improved since I dropped the yeast/temp before dry hopping. Less harsh and more drinkable much earlier.

Yeast in suspension is the main reason people get hop burn, as the yeast reacts with the hop oils/polyphenols and creates harshness. I'm thinking maybe the Voss dropped out on its own before you actually dry hopped, and that's why your other beer was ok.

Hope it works out for you! All I know is my beer has definitely improved since I dropped the yeast/temp before dry hopping. Less harsh and more drinkable much earlier.

Yeast in suspension is the main reason people get hop burn, as the yeast reacts with the hop oils/polyphenols and creates harshness. I'm thinking maybe the Voss dropped out on its own before you actually dry hopped, and that's why your other beer was ok.

Thanks. I'm thinking about giving it another charge once it's at 50f in the bottom container of my fermzilla. I've never utilized that feature (purging it with CO2).... i normally just dry hop in the keg.

Experimenting! Ugghh overwhelming

I would agree as well. I have not actually dry hopped a Kveik beer at 85F, but I read enough stories of bad results to not try. I have mostly just given my Voss beers ~3 days to finish out and dry hopped then at room temp. If you have temperature control or a cool area, a soft crash is an option. I am not sure what the best temp for dry hopping is. When I tried 40F, the hops just sunk and gave less hoppy flavors. These days, I generally either dry hop around 70F or do a soft crash and dry hop at 60F. Ideally for 2 days before cold crashing.

UPDATE:

After dryhops went in (mid fermentation) at 85f for 3 days.......
I let those hop crash in the brewzilla for 2 weeks. I kegged it with a 3oz in the keg. Tastes/smell amazing.

Attachments

• 20230420_220734.jpg
    20230420_220734.jpg
    907.7 KB · Views: 0
Back