vonZwicky's Simple Sanke Valve Disa/Rea-ssembly Tool

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vonZwicky

Reaction score
I recently fashioned a simple tool for disassembling a reassembling sanke keg spears. I bought a 1 ft. length of stainless pipe from McMaster:

Item # 89895K279

http://www.mcmaster.com/#89895k279/=bn9qq3

I used the edge of my angle grinder's wheel to cut notches into each end of the pipe, and then used a file to knock off the burrs and smooth the edges. This wasn't a high precision or very time consuming job. The whole deal took about an hour.

One end, with the larger notches, works on the typical American sanke spear.

img1978.jpg

The other, with the smaller notches, works on the 50 liter euro-sanke I have.

img1979c.jpg

Here's a valve stem that I need to reassemble. The usual chore is getting the clip ring evenly compressed and twisted to lock the spring down.

img1977n.jpg

To use the tool, I simply stand the spear upside down (vertically) on a surface I'm not worried about scratching. I slide the tool over the exterior of the valve stem:

img1981f.jpg

The notches engage the clip ring and it doesn't take much strength at all to compress the spring, give it a twist, and it's done- all with no cursing or swearing.

img1982h.jpg

img1984tb.jpg

That's it.

Thanks SHOOK. If anyone has done something similar to this, I haven't seen it. The length of pipe was pricey, and I suppose it could be done with plain steel or even iron pipe. I just rather using stainless tools on stainless parts.

Thanks guys. It's so simple, and so easy to make- I figured there had to be at least a couple of folks with similar tools.

That is a handy tool, I've reassembled one without, and it takes three tools and four hands...lil tricky

Three tools, four hands, holding your mouth the right way, and the correct sequence of cuss and swear words. Yes, I've been there.

Thanks for this post Zwicky, I just made a $2 PVC model in about 60 seconds and with a dremel and a cutting wheel, less time that it would take to disassemble a single spear. Great idea!

Thanks for this post Zwicky, I just made a $2 PVC model in about 60 seconds and with a dremel and a cutting wheel, less time that it would take to disassemble a single spear. Great idea!

I hadn't even considered the use of plastic/pvc, but I can imagine that it would work just as well. Also, there's less chance that it would scratch the stainless parts of the valve stem. Thanks for expanding on the idea!

Absolutly, I will post a picture of it when I get home.

Also, for anyone else who makes one of these, the first cuts I made were too deep and therefore did not depress the raised tabs on the valve assembly, so err on the shallow side, just deep enough to catch the sides of these tabs.

Absolutly, I will post a picture of it when I get home.

Also, for anyone else who makes one of these, the first cuts I made were too deep and therefore did not depress the raised tabs on the valve assembly, so err on the shallow side, just deep enough to catch the sides of these tabs.

I would also like to see pics, Lorax121. Agreed, a little to shallow on the notches is better than too deep. Also having a bit more thickness (but not too thick) on the sidewall of the material gives you a little more room for error.

Latest posts

Back