vonZwicky's Mill Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vonZwicky

Reaction score
This is a project that's been on the back burner a while (like most of 'em). While I've had my Crankandstein 3 roller mill motorized for over a year now, it's been a pretty crude setup: all mounted to plywood that I'd setup on sawhorses when needed. Figured it was time to work on a dedicated cart for it.

Here's the older thread that leads up to this one:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/shiny-new-mill-motorize-not-motorize-216710/

Pics of my progress so far coming up in my next post.

May replace with better photos when I get home and can get image shack to work:

image-812516166.jpg

Not much time to work on it this afternoon, but I was able to make the "floor" slats.

image-943738772.jpg

image-790657020.jpg

image-2705207052.jpg

Nicely done. I like that you spent a little extra time with the router and gave it some details that make it look more "finished". I'd be proud to have that in my brewery.

The structural elements of the cart are complete. Over the next few days it will be lots of sanding, stain, & polyurethane. Then I'll move on to installing the casters, motor, gearbox, and mill. Will post more pics as I go.

Thanks, Razzbarlow. I was actually too lazy to set up the router table for this. All the notches for the joinery were done with a skil saw, hammer & chisel. The edge work on the slats was done with a belt sander.

I can't wait to get this done, and move into the new house next month, where I'll have a garage with dedicated brew space. A brew stand build is next!

Probably not the best lighting for these pics, but I was able to get one coat of stain on everything this afternoon. Another coat tomorrow and polyurethane this weekend.

image-2797751649.jpg

image-4049930469.jpg

image-725443818.jpg

I put off nailing in these floor slats until after the staining was done. I was worried that I'd have trouble brushing the stain into the narrow gaps between the boards. After filling the nail holes with colored putty, I'm ready to move on to applying the poly.

image-468354053.jpg

image-3690431649.jpg

image-2344309059.jpg

Thanks, mariojr. The Kreg pocket hole jig set is one of the best (and least expensive) woodworking tools I've bought in recent years.

I'm installing the casters this morning. Since many of the holes will be so close to the ends and edges of the 2X4s, I'll have to be extremely careful and pre drill all of the holes to avoid splitting the wood.

Yea! I'm getting close now... I have a little time before I have to head in to work. May work on getting the motor and gearbox mounted.

image-1638384762.jpg

image-1934767877.jpg

I had to improvise some shim materials to line the motor up with the gear box, and the shaft of the motor with the shaft of the mill. A couple of pieces of 1/4 luan laminated together and a thin piece of plexiglass do the trick.

So I've got the motor and gear box mounted. They are simply bolted to the surface. I haven't quite decided where I want to place the switch yet, so I'll leave it loose. Think I'll take this opportunity to give my mill a good spring cleaning before I remount it. More on that later.

image-1507693069.jpg

image-2800610649.jpg

image-239978286.jpg

image-2645637217.jpg

Any further work done on this setup?

What motor setup did you go for, and was it relatively inexpensive?

I appoligize for the lack of progress on this. I was out of town all weekend and now I'm starring down the barrel of a big move over the next couple of weeks. So most of my free time is spent packing boxes- I'm in homebrew limbo. I don't want to get anything started until after I get settled into the new place. I did find a video of the mill in action when I first got her functional last year:

The motor (1/2 hp iron horse) and gear box (10:1 reducing) both came from automationdirect.com. And no, they were relatively expensive, but I acquired them over time. A thrifty builder could build a similar rig for much cheaper buying used / salvaged components. I'll try to post the links to the exact items later.

As soon as I'm settled in and mill my next brew, I'll post a fresh video of the new set up in action. But that will not be the end. I want to add safety features, build a custom hopper, enclose all the wiring, etc. Still pondering the design of all that. When I get rolling on all that, I'll post the progress here.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread has been a loose end for a while, but it's time to pick it back up. Tomorrow is the first brew day in the new house so I've been putting this beast back together. I'll post a fresh video after we mill the inaugural brew.

image-2646757710.jpg

image-3232295854.jpg

image-2306036090.jpg

Very cool. I am definitely impressed with the wood working skill I see on this forum. If the beer you ladies and gents make is half as good as the kits I see crafted I know I'm missing out.

Thanks deadboy. I daresay that along with some nice woodwork (many examples much finer than my own), there are a myriad of fantastic beers brewed by members of this forum. :mug:

Ok. This build is as finished as it's going to be for a while. Eventually I'm going to enclose the wiring, add safety guards, and perhaps build a custom hopper. When I do, I'll post my progress here. For now I'll leave you with this short video that sums up the build and the mill's first use (in this new form):

<Linked removed due to EMI records objecting to the soundtrack of my video, and blocking the free world from seeing it. Please see below...>

Sorry guys. I just realized that an audio sample I used is to blame. I think I can fix this, but it will have to wait until the morning. I will repost when I get it working.

Ok, EMI did not like the use of "Sambrosa" in a malt mill video. I tried a few audio editing tricks to fool the man, but all to no avail. So I resigned myself to modifying the soundtrack. As of now, this link is not blocked:

I will try to log on later in the day to edit this post with links to higher (and lower) resolution versions of this video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice work. I'm bumping this thread because it looks like you have the same (very similar) motor and the same drum switch that I have.
I'm not the most mechanically inclined, and can not for the life of me figure out how to wire this thing up. Could you please post a wiring diagram.
Here's what I have:
6 wires coming out of the motor
blue (T1)
orange (T3)
red (T8)
above listed as line 1

white (T2)
yellow (T4)
black (T5)
above listed as line 2

drum switch looks ths same as yours. If you could help me out, that would be great.
BTW single phase 110v.

Thanks.

Did you ever get the wiring diagram or instructions for this build? I have the automationdirect 1 hp single phase 110v motor and the same, or similar, drum switch (NEMA 1) but have never done anything like this...Which wire connects to which part for the motor, the switch, and the electrical cord? Which electrical cord do I need, a two- or three-prong? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

My appologies, Rerun. I completely missed your earlier bump of this thread. Urocyon, the wiring of electrical motors is a mystery to me as well. At the time, my neighbor drew a wiring diagram for me. When I wired it up as per his recommendation, the motor would hum, but not spin. This may not be the safest method, but I eventually got it working through trial and error. When I get home, I'll try to post pics and / or a diagram of exactly what I did. In regards to the plug, I used a cord wired up to plug with a built in GFCI switch (three pronged and about $30) to protect myself from my own foolishness. I figured this extra feature also wouldn't hurt considering that the motor on an all wooden stand is not well grounded. I highly recommend seeking advice from someone who knows more about electricity than I do, but I will help however I can.

Hi vonZwicky. Thanks for the response. A description of how you wired the switch with the power and motor cords would be great. Cheers!

I finally figured it out last night while I was trying to go to sleep and got it hooked up this morning. T1 and T3 to switch terminal 2. T8 to switch terminal 3. T2 and T4 to switch terminal 5. T5 to switch terminal 4. Black power cord wire to switch terminal 1. White power cord wire to switch terminal 6. Green power cord ground wire to green screw on switch. Yay, it's humming away! If I wanted to switch directions of the motor so forward is the opposite direction I would just have to switch the T8 to switch terminal 4 and T5 to switch terminal 3.

Looks great. Great choice of stain as well. Mine looks a lot like this but I used a different top and motor set up. Again, nice workmanship

Back